Kansas City

Hello,

We have a group of 7-9 riders in Kansas City, and we’re looking for other KC area riders to join together for transportation. We’ve used charters out of Des Moines in the past. Those folks are great, but our preference is to depart from and return to KC. We are open to any options. If you already have transportation organized and have extra seats, we’re more than happy to pay our share of the cost. If you don’t yet have travel plans, we can pool resources and find the best available option. Again, we’re open to anything.

To be clear, we’re just looking for transportation from KC to Orange City, and from Lansing back to KC. We’ll use the RAGBRAI trucks to haul our bags during the week.

Cheers!

9 Replies

Katherine Reitz, April 27, 2017 at 11:31 am

Hi Mick,

We have a group of 7 in Kansas City who are interested in joining some type of charter service to take us to the start from KC and back from the finish.

Mick Conrad, April 27, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Katherine,

The closest charters we’ve found so far are out of Omaha or Des Moines. The latest travel option we’re considering is renting minivans one way from KC to Sioux City (after dropping people, bikes, and gear in Orange City), then from La Crosse, WI back to KC. Those towns are about 30-40 miles from the start and finish, but we’re hoping, between some resourcefulness and RAGBRAI hospitality, we can make it happen. We’ve also considered getting someone to drop us off at the start and pick us up at the finish. However, it’s tough finding volunteers for what appear to be 10 and 14 hour roundtrips.

If you have any ideas in mind, please share them. We’re confident we’ll get there one way or another.

Cheers!

Katherine Reitz, May 1, 2017 at 9:16 am

Hey Mick!

You wouldn’t happen to be part of Muehlberger’s group, would you? If so, so am I!

Mick Conrad, May 1, 2017 at 9:41 am

That’s funny. Yes, we’re part of the same group. Should be fun!

Karen Calomino, May 7, 2017 at 5:01 pm

HI! There are two more of us from KC willing to share the cost of a ride.

Thanks!
Karen

GORDON BROWN, May 10, 2017 at 6:21 am

Here is another that would like to join this action. Single rider, 50 year old male, professional.

I have some retired airline friends that do car/truck transport across the country since they can fly home for free.

Let me check with them. They usually have their cdl license.

So far, we’re looking at about 20 or so riders, bikes, and luggage?

GORDON BROWN, May 11, 2017 at 2:31 pm

I’ve been talking with an existing charter service that does both the bus and full camping charter services. I figured they know the ropes a bit better than someone off the street.

The question is: Out of the 20-25 KC riders that seem to be interested. How many would be willing to spend $475 for transportation each way.

Leave Saturday morning, get back to Kansas City Saturday night.

I’ll chime in for (1) for me. Getting home from a good day of riding on Saturday is a challenge. I get sleepy once back in the truck after a week of riding. Being able to chill and nap on the way back would put the pleasure back in Saturday.

Davetakushi, May 12, 2017 at 5:17 pm

Hi folks! Regarding Gordon’s post, I just want to clarify the pricing. We charge $475 for ROUND TRIP SERVICE. We already service the state of Missouri, originating in St. Louis, and we would entertain a second shuttle, round-trip, out of KC. This would include round-trip transportation of you, your gear, and your bike. Bikes are securely loaded into a separate moving truck. The shuttle is a motor coach with A/C, 110V outlets, Wi-Fi, restroom, and in-route movies. If you factor in the cost to do it yourself, and add the ease of not doing anything there and back, it’s a great value. Our other bus is almost sold out, mostly with repeat customers. And we do have a second bus on reserve, just in case we need it. Sounds like you all may need it. We’d need 25 riders to get in the black. Who’s game?

GORDON BROWN, May 18, 2017 at 9:38 am

I definitely would be. That is a great value, sit back, visit, joke, have a beer (I don’t know if that is allowed), but removing the time and expense of several factors makes it a huge benefit.

My typical Ragbrai:

Drive to end town Friday, camp or hotel. (Save $75-100)
Saturday shuttle to start town. (Save $175-200.)
Long term parking (save $50-75)

Not having to drive home dog assed tired Saturday (priceless) Last time it was this far north it cost me another hotel room. (save $75-100)
Fuel cost (save 50-100)

Just with known cost that saves at least a conservative $375 if you do it my way. So really it breaks down to a decision of $100-175 extra to have a full service, no planning needed (who am I riding with where am I parking, etc.) and relaxed addition to a great Ragbrai experience.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015