RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

Karras Loop?

Anybody have an idea of what day the loop will be?

11 Replies

ehlent, January 31, 2012 at 2:27 pm

My guess would be thursday on the way into CR.   That is nearly an 85 mile day anyway and for me probably about 100 even if we don’t do the loop that day.

jwsknk, January 31, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Probably right about M-town to CR day. a Lehigh-Stratford, Dayton loop on day 3 would just be mean but get the extra miles. Remember, look for the BIG blue signs, “Karras loop patch ahead” and “Karras loop patch here” one per person with weeklong or that days wristband. And they will only be there certain hours, be sure to check that out.

Zinger, January 31, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I’d love to ride through Lehigh! I went to grade school there. Just a few years ago!! ;) 

spaul, January 31, 2012 at 9:44 pm

My guess is between Webster City and Marshalltown. Based on the years I’ve ridden it, a 15 mile loop (on Thursday) would seem too short and anything much over 30 too long. 23 sounds about right.

knees36, January 31, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Zinger said: I’d love to ride through Lehigh! I went to grade school there. Just a few years ago!! ;) 

Zinger…I think your chances on riding through Lehigh are very good.  The downhill into town is a zinger too!!! 

knees36, January 31, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Zinger said: I’d love to ride through Lehigh! I went to grade school there. Just a few years ago!! ;) 

Dang…a double post.  Sorry!

“Bicycle Bill”, February 1, 2012 at 2:00 am

Right after the overnights had been announced, I made the prediction that it would be on Wednesday.  No particular reason, just felt right to me.

Now that I’ve looked a little closer at a map, I’m thinking we’ll leave Webster City and go south and then east to Kamrar and Jewell Junction, then south thru Randall to Story City (the lunch stop).  Continue east and south to county road E18 to Roland, then continue east on E18 thru McCallsburg, Zearing, Bangor, and Liscomb.  From there we drop south to Albion and work our way into Marshalltown from the north.  And according to Google maps, that works out to exactly ….. 77.1 miles — the exact mileage announced by TJ last Saturday night!
(cue the Twilight Zone music)

The Karras Loop would fit in here nicely; drop south from McCallsburg on county road S27 to Fernald; then go west on county road E29 to 600th Avenue, and finally north on 600th Ave back up to Roland and rejoin county road E18 and the main route.  Loop mileage — roughly 24 miles.  Add that to the announced total of 77.1 and you’ve got 101.1 miles.

-“BB”-

jwsknk, February 1, 2012 at 7:44 am

yep BB’s, think you might be right about that route, riden over many of those roads. Really nothing in Fernald and it’s maybe a 1/2 mile south of E29.

jwsknk, February 1, 2012 at 7:55 am

Zinger, Lehigh? know the Campidilli”s? We have done a Dolliver, Lehigh, Stratford, Dayton, Burnside loop many times, 4 times through that valley no matter which way we left Lehigh. That would make one killer Karras loop.

Ragbrai Nation, February 1, 2012 at 8:15 am

Miss your team’s signage or turn coming into Cedar Rapids and you’ll be DOING a hundred-mile day – ha!

Michrider !!!, February 1, 2012 at 8:57 am

Thursday would be good for the loop.  It’s already 84 and Friday should be a kinda relaxed day to recuperate and Kurb drink a few!!!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters