RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Karras Loop Company

Hi there!
Looking for people to ride a fast-paced century with me on the second day of RAGBRAI 2017!
This will be my 6th RAGBRAI, and I’ve done the Karras Loop century every one of those years. This year I’ve challenged myself to do something epic (for me) on century day: ride the entire 100 miles in 5 hours or less. That equates to an average of 20 mph or faster. I’m currently training at a level where this should be possible solo (just finished a 55 miler at an average of 21.5), but where’s the fun in that? So I would love to have some people ride with me. I’m not asking for pacers necessarily, just company. Could be the whole way, could be part of the way, could just be for a ridiculously fast pace line after the loop and meeting town, could be not at all. Let me know if you’re interested!

12 Replies

Jeff Boyer, June 7, 2017 at 12:22 pm

Here is an epic challenge for you to consider on Century Day…Enjoy the ride, notice I said ride not race, and take time to enjoy everything that Ragbrai has to offer. Save your 5 hour 100 mile ride for a club ride when you get home, and in July kick back, meet some new friends, take time to thank the locals for their hospitality, and enjoy a piece of rhubarb pie! You can do all that, and more, at a much more enjoyable pace for yourself, and everyone else riding around you!

carrick.rice, June 7, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Here’s an epic challenge for you, Mr. Boyer: if you don’t have anything to say relating to the post, keep your opinions to yourself!
I always enjoy the ride, the sights, the sounds, and I always meet new people and make new friends each year on RAGBRAI. It’s often the highlight of my year. The fact that I’m in good shape and want to ride fast has no bearing on that. I’m not racing, I’m riding at a pace that is comfortable and enjoyable for me. Who are you to deny me a physical challenge if I want one?

RoyBoy, June 7, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Please note that when going through towns it is not safe to ride at speed. This means you will have to slow down in towns and that will require a faster average speed when out on the road. On a crowded road a speed faster that 20 mph is when there are more chances for a collision with slower riders as you will have less time to react. If you really have to try to do this, go very, very early before the masses are on the road. And on any really hot day, many veteran riders also head out early before sunrise to beat the heat.
A better idea is to take it easy and enjoy the show.

carrick.rice, June 7, 2017 at 12:45 pm

I appreciate that. Like I said, I’ve done this for years and I’m aware going through towns is lower speed. I generally leave quite early on the century day to avoid the crowds and heat, then take it easy the rest of the week to really enjoy the pageantry. I get that people are concerned with safety, but I’m actually a very conscientious rider (signalling, calling out hazards, announcing on or off and passing) and definitely place safety and fun over speed. I just thought this would be enjoyable for me to try, and wondered if any other riders were interested is all.

ppayne1959, June 7, 2017 at 12:56 pm

CR
You have to have predicted most of the responses to his would be like they are. I would actually take you up on that (if you don’t ride fast why bother?) but RAGBRAI is actually the once a year I ride with my brother and we goof off in fits and surges across the great state just for fun. I don’t think he would find the 100 in 5 as entertaining as I might. That being said you MUST report back if you succeed. As honorable as the attempt sounds my money says it is unlikely. I think the logistics of avoiding towns etc will add too much time. 20mph might be achievable but 5 hours or less I am not certain of. I am very interested if you can do it.

Jeff Boyer, June 7, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Sorry to have ruffled your feathers Mr. Carrick.Rice, but I was only making a suggestion relating to you post. I wish you nothing but good luck and safe travels as you travel across Iowa!

Roy Trent, June 7, 2017 at 2:06 pm

carrick.rice,

I too enjoy a brisk pace and would be interested in assisting you for at least a portion of the 100. Like ppayne above, I am afraid pass thru towns, crowded roads, wind etc might hamper the attempt. I have accepted the fact that I will need to throttle back a bit on this ride.

I will not be sleeping in Spencer Sunday night so I don’t know how early I would be able to start as I will be driving to Spencer from ‘boji on Monday morning.

Let’s stay connected and maybe I can give you a good pull for some early miles. I’m a “wide body” so I create a good draft.:) My wife will be riding with me and will not be able to run that pace for very long so she will bail at some point. I will continue but will need to wait for her at some point also.

I think if you can get 5 or 6 good people you might have a chance.

My group # is 12875 (just 3 of us)
My ID is #242646

SFC JKL 2, June 7, 2017 at 11:37 pm

You missed it this year (they are riding this week) but I’ll suggest trying BRAG. Their idea of fun is to get to the next end town before the hotel stops serving breakfast. It’s your ride so do your thing. I’ll be out supporting the people who are out supporting us.

“Bicycle Bill”, June 8, 2017 at 7:38 am

I never looked at a day on RAGBRAI as a ’60-mile day’ or a ’70-mile day’ or even a ‘century day’.  I saw it as a series of short ten or twelve-mile rides between towns, and I’d take the time to see things when I’d get to these little pass-thru towns — because even though I lived less than 35 miles from Iowa in the next state over (Wisconsin), who knew if I’d ever again be in someplace like Ida Grove or Winterset or West Bend or even a bigger town like Mason City or Cedar Falls? — instead of blasting across Iowa seeing little more than my front tire and whatever was directly ahead of it.  So maybe it took me eight, ten, or even twelve hours to get from one overnight to the other.  Who cared?  It was my VACATION.

I urge you, Mr. Rice, to adopt a little bit of the same mindset.

-“BB”-

carrick.rice, July 30, 2017 at 3:14 pm

4:59:25

Michrider !!!, July 30, 2017 at 3:40 pm

C. R. congratulations for your epic ride!

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

ppayne1959, July 31, 2017 at 8:25 am

Sweet ride! congrats!

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI