RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Keeping Meds Cool

My brother is a Parkinson’s patient using a pump to deliver his meds over the course of the day. But his non-active meds need to be kept refrigerated. Maybe this is like insulin? Any diabetics or PD patients out there with a recommendation on how to do this over the course of a week. No guarantee we’ll have a SAG wagon, though we’re trying to do that. Maybe I just carry a 6-pack cooler and refresh the ice every night (and morning) in the overnight towns? Any thoughts? Thank you all. See you on the road in July!

9 Replies

Low Rider, January 31, 2022 at 10:33 pm

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/emergency-preparedness-drugs/information-regarding-insulin-storage-and-switching-between-products-emergency (The forum posting routines won’t let me create a link upon which to click) is the webpage from FDA the about storage insulin in disasters. Not knowing your brother’s medications, I don’t know if there is similar advice available. Without going into all the details, I haven’t refrigerated my insulin for my 8 previous RAGBRAIs and won’t be doing so for #9 this July.

Mike Howe, February 1, 2022 at 12:21 am

The first three Ragbrais I did I didnt refrigerate my insulin or anything and seemed to be ok. Last year I was with the pork belly charter and they allowed me and others to keep their medication in a fridge during the day. You might reach out to them to see if theres a way they would allow your brother to do that even if youre not using their charter. Only down side with that would be youre having to possibly ride several miles more back n forth between their camp and where yours is.

This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Mike Howe.

Mike Howe, February 1, 2022 at 12:26 am

You might check some of these out… looks like some are rechargeable by a usbcable.

https://www.sweettrip.org/best-insulin-travel-coolers/

ibjimbham, February 7, 2022 at 12:24 pm

My son with diabetes rode with me in 2008. He carried his insulin in a handlebar bag. With it he store some ice in ziplock bags. He did not have any problem at all replenishing the ice the whole week. He would just go up to any vendor along the route, explain that he was diabetic, and ask for some ice. They were always happy to give him as much as ice as he wanted. I think he would get ice once a day.

Jeremy Hase, February 7, 2022 at 9:40 pm

Type 1 here. I use a Frio cooler bag for insulin pens and vials. Keeps my insulin cool on the hottest of days, even when packed in my luggage bag stored in the transport truck.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00022628K/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_B9DWZNBFFS74H3KP3A87

Mike Howe, February 10, 2022 at 7:35 pm

Jeremy. These seem pretty cool.. no pun intended. You just get them wet and then wait a few minutes for the case to cool? Does the outside of the case remain wet? Just curious. Thanks.

Jeremy Hase, February 25, 2022 at 8:20 pm

you just soak the inner bag in cool water and the dehydrated gel beads will absorb the water. The colder the water, the better. The bag itself just acts as an insulator for the cold water. If the bag is left exposed to heat for a long period, then the water will become warm, but not extremely hot. Then soaked pouch goes in the cover bag. The water won’t leak out and usually last a couple of days. I usually kept my bag in a zip lock too, just in case. I used water with a little ice to soak the inner bag when possible. There is always ice available somewhere on the route. When I packed my insulin in my luggage, I would put in the frio bag in the middle of my travel bag. The heat from the sun never penetrated down to the center of my gear, even with my luggage being in the sun for hours. It worked for insulin pens and vials.

KenH, March 4, 2022 at 3:58 pm

If you cannot come up with anything else make friends with a family or team that has a motorhome. Exchange phone numbers so you can stay in contact. Almost all motorhomes have refrigerators….

HelenP, July 16, 2022 at 9:45 pm

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI