RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

Knee Replacement

Did anyone ride RAGBRAI with a full knee replacement?  I’m scheduled for a replacement and want to know how it will affect my riding.

5 Replies

nhhillrider, August 2, 2011 at 7:51 am

I met someone who had knee replacements and was riding with Pork Belly Ventures … Dave was his name.
I was very happy with his knee replacement and able to ride .   
Not sure of his last name but I’ll bet if you contact Tammy or Pete at PBV they would get you in touch.

Dave Merriman, August 4, 2011 at 10:42 pm

That’s me!  I had bilateral total knee replacement in Dec 2009.  (That’s both knees at the same time…both needed to be done and in my book, it was just one recovery.)  It was a total blessing!  Pre surgery, I’d been riding for well, 30 something years and it was about the only exercise I could get that didn’t hurt.  Post surgery, I felt no difference and rode just as well (road bike, like to go fast). If you’re like me, it’s the walking and standing in lines that absolutely killed me.  I couldn’t take enough meds to kill the pain.

Short answer to your question: go for it.  Do your physical therapy like a good patient, and get ready to ride when it feels right.  I was back in the gym right at 90 days. It’ll change your life, trust me. I am totally pain free and do not take any meds anymore.
Feel free to email me if you have any questions: merrimanassociates@gmail.com.

mcpartla, December 2, 2011 at 9:00 am

I had TKN (Total Knee Replacement) Nov. 2, 2010 and last year was my 8th RAGBRAI.  I was more than a little concerned because flexibility did not return quickly (maybe 90  – 100 degrees) so stretching exercises were needed and I went a lot slower but I had no problem with the distance.  I made up my mind to take the SAG each day if I needed to but never found I did once I biked a few miles.  It was only about a month or so ago that I noticed a bit more flexibility … maybe 110 degrees and more normal biking.  I also used a borrowed trike as part of my warmup exercises before RAGBRAI … more forgiving with a different angle than my two-wheeler.  Best of luck in your recovery and hope to see you on 2012 RAGBRAI!

Sandaltan ., December 3, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Seems like I am associating with an older crowd lately and three people I ride with occasionally, two of whom I can’t keep up with, have had double knee replacements.  Modern medicine is wonderful.

RIDE RIGHT

mikesglobebike, December 3, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I did not make the intire ride because dehydration.

I did have both knees total + knee caps replaced  6 months apart.

But I got 3240 miles outdoors in 1500 miles before RAGBRAI

With no problems at all.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters