Lansing might be interesting to get out of

Last night a major sink hole opened up on highway 82 (the island between Wisconsin and iowa) don’t know if it will be open by ragbrai.

5 Replies

jwsknk, May 30, 2017 at 1:21 pm

So no east exit over the bridge until that gets stabilized and repaired.

Roy Trent, May 30, 2017 at 1:48 pm

I was under the impression that cars/support vehicles were going to limited/excluded from Lansing so there would be no cars to drive east. Also, someone said the bridge is not really suitable for bikes to cross to the east either.

I’m not from Iowa so I’m not sure what info is legit at this point. It would be nice to know if I will be able to get a driver into Lansing to pick me up.

jwsknk, May 30, 2017 at 4:14 pm

From what I have heard, highway 9 is the vehicle route in. Bikes come in from the south. Leaving west on 9, north on 26 to Minnesota or across the narrow and old open steel deck bridge into Wisconsin. Sounds like that last option may now be out. Harpers Ferry, the town to the south will be car/truck free and on the roads in and out.

GeorgeKline, May 30, 2017 at 7:39 pm

The Westby Times have a picture of the damage and says repairs could take a week.I think we will be good for the end of RAGBRAI!

KenH, May 31, 2017 at 9:15 am

Going south from Lansing will be impossible. It is Harper’s Ferry just to the south of Lansing that is going to be car free, not Lansing. On a good day then that leaves east, west, and north as the only routes out of Lansing. You can bet that the RAGBRAI team will do everything in their power to encourage the responsible highway departments to have that sinkhole repaired in time! I think you can count on the highway situation in Lansing being a bit of a mess no matter what happens with that sinkhole so be sure to save some patience for the last day. I think the ride and the last day in particular is going to make waiting in line to get out of town worthwhile.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI