RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Last overnight town- Keokuk

Generally what percentage of riders overnight in the final town versus just getting the hell out of Dodge

20 Replies

jwsknk, March 6, 2019 at 8:02 am

In 41 years my team has tried it once, I did one other time because we were in the middle of a cross country ride, taking that sunday off before heading on to the east coast. My guess is a pretty small percentage

Amanda, March 6, 2019 at 8:14 am

Our team has stayed over the last 3 years and are planning to do it again. We haven’t seen a lot of “our people” out and about at night. It does give our driver a chance to start back home fresh. It is harder to find a place to stay as we like to camp in people’s yards, but we have been able to find places on our own.

Anonymous, March 6, 2019 at 8:34 am

That, I would like to know. Now that I am a little older, not needing to rush back home to near as many responsibilities, I would love to hang on the river for a few days and bag the river. I have always wanted to ride the river trail. Keokuk, or any ending town would work for me. I live in Iowa and can always procure logistics. I was a logistics manger for a large construction manufacturing company for many years, land ,sea, rail, intermodal so I know every trick, (and their excuse) in the book! I have read on this forum where some of the older goats stay the weekend and beyond after RAGBRAI. There are so many things to see and do up and down both sides of the river. I ‘m sure for people living all their lives on the river it’s no big deal. For me, living 43*6’40″N 94*40’55W in the middle of a corn field surrounded by soy beans it’s exciting. Baggers paradise! Side Note: I have lived in Iowa for 60 years and I have never heard or read the term, ” Corn Bears” until this forum. I am assuming this was made up by someone living far, far away. Iowa does NOT have Corn Bears. But come sunset, you need to beware of the, Children of the Corn! Slow down have fun already and be safe.

LawnchairMan, March 6, 2019 at 11:22 am

For once I will be camping overnight in Keokuk the last day. I’m assuming I will be allowed to use the same camp area that we do Friday before the ride. It should be interesting to sit back and watch the frenzy build and dissipate. There is a YMCA, so I should be able to get a shower the next morning. Then I will be meeting my sister for a nostalgic return to Effigy Mounds.

KenH, March 6, 2019 at 11:42 am

Historically most people do get out of Dodge as quickly as possible. I am glad to hear that some do not. I am under tremendous pressure from home to get back there NOW so I cannot join you.

I am quite certain the term “corn bears” originated with rural Iowans. I’m not from Iowa but I am a country boy. It is just one of those things we like to tell city slickers. The Children of the Corn are the ghosts of city slickers who were eaten by corn bears at previous RAGBRAIs.

Larry Klaaren, March 6, 2019 at 12:17 pm

I grew up on a farm in southeast Iowa and have been on farms all over the state and I never have heard of a Corn Bear.

davekilloran, March 6, 2019 at 3:12 pm

For me, I get out of Dodge as quickly as possible. I live in Florida and drive to the end town. I usually only drive 3 or 4 hours upon leaving, get a hotel, a real shower, put the ac on arctic and crash. Then its a long pull to friends in Atlanta on that Sunday and 6 1/2 hours at o-dark thirty back home Monday. That has worked for me and will do it again this year.

Surlyman!, March 7, 2019 at 2:27 pm

I dip and bail.. by then its time for a hot shower and a little time in the shade.

Lived in Iowa for 30 years…. Nope… Not an Iowa thing… And yes I am a farm boy..

Here is the Urban Dictionary Definition. Thought it was a little funny..
Bears that live in corn.
If you were walking outside of a cornfield complaining about things being over priced and praising Seinfeld, you might get suddenly mauled to a hideous death by a pack of Corn bears. Dr. Andy Hjortshoj is the world’s expert on these elusive creatures.

KenH, March 8, 2019 at 7:48 am

I apologize for believing rural Iowans to be more creative than they are. Having grown up in rural and small town Illinois and Wisconsin we maintained a menagerie of mythical wildlife to tell stories of when our city cousins came to visit. I have never heard the term “corn bear” used anywhere but Iowa. I suppose now you are going to tell me that you know nothing of corn bats either?

hnschipper, March 8, 2019 at 8:51 am

I grew up in rural northwest Iowa. The first time I heard the term corn bears was on RAGBRAI. In fact, I’ve never heard it used outside of RAGBRAI. I spent a lot of time in cornfields in my youth detassling corn, and corn bears were not a thing back then.

hnschipper, March 8, 2019 at 8:53 am

Corm worms are a thing, and they are disgusting.

Amanda, March 8, 2019 at 11:24 am

Corn bears and Snipes are similiar creatures. If you have ever gone Snipe hunting (google it, it’s a thing) Unless you are from Missouri, then Snipe hunting is a real thing. Anyway, Corn Bears are legendary creatures that live in cornfields along RAGBRAI’s route. If you use a cornfield to relieve yourself, be quick, or they might get you!

Also I believe women go left and men go right when entering the field. :)

bigG, March 8, 2019 at 6:29 pm

OBTW, corn bear is spelled corn borer.
On topic, we stayed overnight in Keokuk the last time and almost no one showed up for a free breakfast going on downtown the next morning. There are some nice restaurants and motels, but not a lot going on there unless they set something up especially.
Also, if you are tired the hwy 218-61 junction well north of Keokuk is easy to miss. It is a standard left turn to stay on 218.

T. Gap Woo, March 8, 2019 at 10:03 pm

[quote quote=1300592]

Also I believe women go left and men go right when entering the field. ?[/quote]

Please forgive me, Princess Amanda, but I must correct something you posted. As Mrs Woo likes to remind me, “Men go left because women are always RIGHT!” ?

A thousand pardons and I beg your forgiveness, your most honorable Highness.

I remain your faithful and humble servant.

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

Amanda, March 9, 2019 at 5:31 am

You are correct Mr Woo- you are forgiven! Somedays this Princess doesn’t know her right from her left!?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters