Latest on TJ

“Dear Friends –
It has been a great 17-year ride here in Iowa! I want to thank you for the great times and lifetime friendships that we have made here in the Midwest. It is now time for that next chapter… We will be heading to Tucson, Arizona at the end of the summer for new adventures.
I am excited about the opportunity to help with El Tour de Tucson. El Tour is one of the country’s top cycling events and part of the culture of cycling in Arizona. Perhaps what appeals to me the most about El Tour is that since 1983 their events have raised over $100 million for local and international charitable organizations. I look forward to working on these great events.
I will be back in Iowa next summer to ride with you across the state on Iowa’s Ride from Dubuque to Rock Rapids on July 18-24, 2021. This semi-supported ride will be FREE for everyone that was originally registered to ride on Iowa’s Ride this summer. The purpose of the journey is simple: support Iowa’s small towns and their businesses, which we could not do this summer due to COVID-19.
If you make it down to Tucson, give me a shout, I’d love to hear from you.
Wish us luck on our new adventures!
TJ Juskiewicz”

18 Replies

Mike Murphy, June 11, 2020 at 10:26 pm

Good riddance.

Mike Howe, June 12, 2020 at 12:27 am

Ewww Tucson AZ…

I wonder who will carry on the great tradition of Iowas ride after next year? 😁

klkoopman, June 12, 2020 at 9:37 am

Anyone care to write the last chapter of the epic poem “Ode to T.J” that was posted on (and deleted from) this forum? I’ll give credit to all involved in creating this chaos. Like cats thrown from a second floor window, everyone seems to have landed on their feet.

francoisvanzyl, June 12, 2020 at 10:28 am

Guys

TJ was good enough when he did a monster good job for RAGBRAI for 17 years. There is absolutely no need to smear / bash him now. I, for one, appreciate him for that.

Live and let live.

Kevin Ke, June 12, 2020 at 11:23 am

You take a great tradition that you have ran for 17 years, like RAGBRAI, and then ‘take-your-ball-and-go-home’ and leave it to start a competing event from scratch because you did not like how a newspaper treated some guy at a football game. Brilliant!

Sandaltan ., June 12, 2020 at 1:25 pm

Kevin Ke: You have been mislead as to the reason that TJ left the employ of the DMR. Iowa bicycling has lost positive force is support of the sport we all enjoy. I am not here to change your beliefs but simply to express mine. I have known TJ for more than nineteen years and he is certainly a person of integrity and honesty.

RIDE RIGHT

Kevin Ke, June 12, 2020 at 2:11 pm

I would not know TJ if I bumped into him in the produce section of an Hy-Vee, but from the outside looking in, it’s an easy call: it was all about TJ.

I gave IR one year; now I give it 0.

Make no mistake, RAGBRAI was – and TJ intended for it to be – bruised through all of this, but it will recover. TJ wanted to give it a body blow and it worked.

Thankfully 90% of people who will ride in the 2021 RAGBRAI have no clue what this is all about and the other 10% will not even be able to remember Carson King’s name….

Jboz, June 12, 2020 at 9:02 pm

I agree that TJ has done many positive things for cycling and RAGBRAI over the years. As far as his integrity, I only have this: In the brief time gap between RAGBRAI being cancelled but Iowa’s Ride still scheduled, I reached out to TJ about signing up for IR. He quickly responded via email to advise me to hold off, not send any money, and to wait a few weeks. Iowa’s Ride eventually cancelled. TJ obviously saw the train coming. I was a complete stranger to him, and he could have easily taken my money, yet he actively discouraged it. That sealed in my mind that TJ is a man of integrity. As far as the TJ/DMR drama, everyone posting here, including me, only knows a fraction of the story. In any event, trashing the man at this point seems extremely petty. In fact, online anonymous personal attacks has always struck me as the actions of cowards. But to each his own, it’s 2020 and sadly that’s apparently how some people choose to behave. Personally, I wish TJ nothing but the best of luck in Tucson.

jpclark7, June 12, 2020 at 11:41 pm

Who cares.

Another ride in Arizona, cool!
Iowa’s Ride 2021 still happening, great!
RAGBRAI 2021 still happening, awesome!

Doing all of ’em.

BarryTantlinger, June 13, 2020 at 12:45 am

Such a kerfuffle caused that came to nothing.

Good luck to TJ and now back to our semi-regularly scheduled ride.

ESchiers, June 14, 2020 at 7:53 am

At least TJ moved to Iowa when he was hired as director. Where’s Dieter Drake? Still in Colorado from what I can tell. What’s up with that?

klkoopman, June 14, 2020 at 10:04 am

Mr. Drake, like any other American, can live wherever the hell he wants to live. I’m sure he has family considerations to think about. If we’ve learned anything the past couple of months it’s that we can easily work remotely. It’s also a reasonable option to fly into Des Moines every 2 weeks and work out of an apartment.

Larry Klaaren, June 14, 2020 at 10:25 am

I kind of felt the same way about Dieter commuting but honestly, it was starting to be evident that there probably would not be a RAGBRAI this year before he took the job. Not sure I would move my family under that situation. Almost everything done for this year can hold over until spring. Also, we know he has his own races. Is he a full time hire? None of our business. Is the staff, like Ann and Andrea picking up more of the day to day? I don’t know. None of my business. If the Register is happy, I am ok with it.

KenH, June 14, 2020 at 10:14 pm

TJ did a fine job as RAGBRAI director for 17 years. I’ve had several people tell me he is a man of honesty and integrity long before the events of last fall unfolded. Personally, I disagree strongly with what he did last fall. But, after the initial blow up and ill advised plans for Iowa’s Ride were announced he began to take steps to restructure it to give it the character it should have had from the beginning. He can never do for Dieter Drake the year long careful mentoring job that Greenie did for him now, he cannot make amends for that failure, but he deserves forgiveness from those he feels he needs it and the chance to redeem himself. I am confident that he will redeem himself. I think it was time for him to move on even though he had come to love Iowa during his time there. I’m glad to hear that he is moving on. I think he will do great things in Arizona.

I don’t know what the Drake family’s plans about moving may be. Dieter says he expects to become more acquainted with the Iowa cycling infrastructure and culture in the coming months. That does not necessarily mean he will move to Iowa. But he has a long, successful record of running rides in South America from his home in Colorado so I don’t think he needs to move to Iowa to be RAGBRAI director if he and the Register agree on that point. The Covid crisis put him in the horrible position of having to cancel his first RAGBRAI before he even had a chance to get it off to a proper start. But it has also trained all of us on how to work successfully from home. So, I think he can be a quite successful RAGBRAI director whether he moves to Iowa or not.

I wish both TJ and DD along with their families all the best as they begin their new endeavors!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015