Le Mars?

Just read a story from KIWA (a radio station in Spencer) that suggests that Le Mars may be having second thoughts. Quoting from the article, “City officials in Le Mars, which had been tapped as the ride’s starting point, are talking about whether they think hosting this year’s opening night is a good idea, considering the amount of preperation lead time required and the remaining uncertainty about satety due to Covid-19”.

Anyone else hear anything?

48 Replies

Flygirl01, January 30, 2021 at 4:40 pm

I think it will be interesting/telling just how much/little RAGBRAI chooses to discuss this issue of Le Mars and/or others possibly pulling out at tonight’s RAP. The go/no go decision will obviously be made on March 15 but hopefully tonight’s discussion might offer some clue as to their thinking.

GP_in_SD, January 30, 2021 at 8:07 pm

Pfizer’s and Moderna’s vaccine is a messenger RNA vaccine (mRNA) not an RNA vaccine. Two different animals. I’m not a doctor or scientist but have been an investor in biotech, specifically IONS, for over 20 years that specialize in mRNA drug development and I doubt there is little chance of autoimmune issues with the mRNA vaccines. Additionally, Pfizer would be risking their entire company if they thought there was any potential issue down the road with autoimmune issues. The lawsuits would bankrupt even a company as large and with as many lawyers as them. Remember, they didn’t take any government aid to develop their vaccine so they would need to be very sure that it works and has little risk of significant side effects before issuing it to the world as a solution.

There is nothing for certain in life but I’ll stick with the science on this. By the way, I’ve had my first shot of Pfizer and am schedule for my second on Feb. 14

Joseph Schlau, January 30, 2021 at 8:48 pm

My doctor actually said that to me so it is not fiction. The fact he told me that.

He was talking about OTHER RNA vaccines, not these. But the link is thought to be to RNA vaccines in general. That NP you quoted was obviously referring to that same research and over reached a bit by assuming these 2 new RNA vaccines have a proven link. But since they are RNA vaccines they MAY have an issue in 2-3 years

Plus my doc says mRNA vaccines are linked to higher rates of autoimmune disease 2-3 years down the road.

The AP article referenced states in part

Dr. Drew Weissman, who has studied mRNA for decades and participated in groundbreaking research on the molecule. Morrow noted that in the 2018 article on “mRNA vaccines — a new era in vaccinology,” a number of possible adverse effects for mRNA vaccines were listed, including concerns about autoimmunity.

Weissman said such concerns weren’t applicable with the COVID-19 vaccines because they use a new kind RNA, which would not cause autoimmune disease.

Modified mRNA vaccines have since been given to people for five years now.

“There is no data that says an mRNA vaccine can cause an autoimmune disease,” he said in an email. “I have not seen or heard of a single report that mRNA vaccines cause autoimmunity.”

So it would appear that an article published by the Associated Press does not support your recollection of what your Doc may have said. In no case does the AP article use the term link and further cannot substantiate a single case.

In on post you state may be linked in the original you say they are linked.

Maybe you need to get better clarification from your doc and some written support for these statements.

This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Joseph Schlau.

cheymtn70, January 31, 2021 at 11:28 am

Here’s a link to an article in Nature that may explain the confusion about autoantibodies and COVID-19. This may explain why some people are long haulers.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00149-1

I’m sure that, at some point, they’ll find that some people are genetically susceptible to chronic, refractory disease.

If I was involved in making a decision about RAGBRAI coming through my town, I’d be on the phone with Dr. Michael Osterholm of CIDRAP at the University of Minnesota. In the last year, we’ve all seen him on TV. (He also has a great podcast.) His predictive record for the course of the pandemic has almost been perfect. He’s now saying that we MAY not, as of this date, have seen the worst. He’s saying that, due to the variants of concern (VOC), we may see a larger wave of disease in the next 6-12 weeks. The plateau that we’re seeing now MAY be the lull before the storm. He hopes that he’s wrong.
Anyway, Mike is an Iowa boy (high school in Waukon and college at Luther). I think he’d be interested in giving his opinion about a large, athletic event crossing Iowa in late July. FWIW.

mootsman, January 31, 2021 at 3:01 pm

Weissman said such concerns weren’t applicable with the COVID-19 vaccines because they use a new kind RNA, which would not cause autoimmune disease.

“I have not seen or heard of a single report that mRNA vaccines cause autoimmunity.”

As Weissman said these are new vaccines. Saying there will not be an issue when the issues developes 2-3 years in the future is a prediction, not a fact. And because of 1 person not seeing any reports suggesting there are issues is not the same as saying they don’t exist. I’ll stick with what my doctor said to me in person who has seen the reports.

Plus why was he studying mRNA vaccines for decades (plural) if they have only been used for 5 years? I get they study them before wide release but decades…

The above is one of the reasons why I’ll wait for the J&J DNA vaccine if I get one at all.

This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by mootsman.

Joseph Schlau, January 31, 2021 at 6:00 pm

Plus why was he studying mRNA vaccines for decades (plural) if they have only been used for 5 years? I get they study them before wide release but decades

I don’t know, maybe ask your Doc

Sandaltan ., February 2, 2021 at 5:20 pm

A hang fire until 15 March. One difficult year has begat another difficult year.

RIDE RIGHT

Ben There, February 2, 2021 at 7:09 pm

If LeMars backs out, there’s a simple fix, skip the first day and start one day later in Sac City. If a mid-week town drops out it is a much bigger issue.

Flygirl01, February 3, 2021 at 12:55 pm

Just watched yesterday’s Le Mars city council meeting’s discussion about RAGBRAI. My take on the discussion is that the council is taking a “wait and see” attitude. Looks like the 3/15 date is what they are kind of looking at.

Joseph Schlau, February 3, 2021 at 1:59 pm

Yesterday’s meeting summary

Thank you for contacting KLEM radio to inquire about what decision was made during the Le Mars City Council meeting held on Tuesday regarding the RAGBRAI bicycle ride.

The council further discussed the issue and were given additional information, however, the city council didn’t take any formal action on the matter. As of right now, plans are to proceed with the assumption that Le Mars will be hosting the opening evening of the RAGBRAI bicycle tour. However, The Des Moines Register, the official sponsor of RAGBRAI had indicated they would decide by the deadline of March 15th as to whether the bicycle ride across Iowa will proceed.

Plus, the city council discussed that the decision may not necessarily rest with them as originally the city council was not contacted about whether Le Mars would agree to host the event. So, the local decision may rest with the Le Mars RAGBRAI organizing host committee, with the consultation of the Le Mars city council. I guess, at this point, we will all need to stay tune and see what happens with the eradication of COVID-19 virus.

Again, thank you for your email message.

Dennis Morrice
KLEM radio
Le Mars, Iowa 51031

This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Joseph Schlau.

KenH, February 4, 2021 at 11:16 am

Just watched yesterday’s Le Mars city council meeting’s discussion about RAGBRAI. My take on the discussion is that the council is taking a “wait and see” attitude. Looks like the 3/15 date is what they are kind of looking at.

That is good news and all we can ask of them or any other town. I hate to wait and I hate that this thing is hanging in the balance so closely but I don’t think any other course of action is reasonable. There is reason to be hope, but I am preparing my heart for another year of virtual riding just in case.

My team already has a tentative schedule for the team vehicle driver rotation put together, it would be a great tragedy to see that go to waste!

Tyler Guth, February 15, 2021 at 1:58 pm

I’m admittedly having a hard time with the idea of no tire dip and not even starting on the river. This would be my first ride without that being a part of it, it’s really undermining the draw for me. So, I don’t mind hearing LeMars waffling I guess. It’s a great town and everything, but it’s not on the river.

mootsman, February 16, 2021 at 9:57 am

I’m admittedly having a hard time with the idea of no tire dip and not even starting on the river. This would be my first ride without that being a part of it, it’s really undermining the draw for me. So, I don’t mind hearing LeMars waffling I guess. It’s a great town and everything, but it’s not on the river.

If it works with your schedule you could show up on Friday and ride to Akron and back on Saturday for a tire dip. 45-50 miles round trip. There is a boat launch on the river in Akron just west of where Mill St ends at highway 12. Never been there, just looked at google maps, Earth view. PBV has a shuttle on Friday from the end town.

hnschipper, February 16, 2021 at 11:19 am

I think I have probably started more RAGBRAI’s not at the river than at the river.

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015