Le Mars?

Just read a story from KIWA (a radio station in Spencer) that suggests that Le Mars may be having second thoughts. Quoting from the article, “City officials in Le Mars, which had been tapped as the ride’s starting point, are talking about whether they think hosting this year’s opening night is a good idea, considering the amount of preperation lead time required and the remaining uncertainty about satety due to Covid-19”.

Anyone else hear anything?

48 Replies

Sandaltan ., February 16, 2021 at 1:35 pm

I have never dipped a tire….as far back as I remember.

RIDE RIGHT

ThomasNye, February 16, 2021 at 2:23 pm

I dread the news on Mar. 15th, but will as always remain optimistic and positive about my favorite event in my favorite state.
I have ridden every year since I became “hooked” in Council Bluffs in 2000, and the stories I could share about Fri. and Sat. tire-dipping adventures abound, but somewhere around the muddy swampgrounds in Rock Valley a half decade ago the tire-dipping at the start became less critical to me. Of course, the mighty Mississippi baptism is absolutely essential.
Peace, well wishes and safety to all…

LawnchairMan, February 17, 2021 at 11:47 am

To me, the whole idea of dipping tires is to be able to claim that I’ve ridden from one edge of the state to the other. In that case, dipping on one side of the state and not the other is pointless.
Since I have done it, I don’t really need to do it all the time, but of six state crossings I have dipped four times. I didn’t know of the tradition on my first Ragbrai, but I made a special point of it for my second time when we started in Sioux Center.

Viewing 3 replies - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015