Lets Carpool from Wash DC ( DMV) to Endtown

Hi RAGBRAI riders,

I am looking someone or a group to carpool from Wash DC/DMV to End town and back.

Please advise!

Ben

10 Replies

Sanjeev Kumar, May 14, 2021 at 12:02 pm

I live in Ashburn, VA and will be riding at RAGBRAI. I am potentially interested in carpooling. I am not sure, yet, whether I will be flying or driving there.

Ben….. M., May 26, 2021 at 9:15 pm

Sanjeev,

Thanks for replying to my message. If you plan to going to Iowa in July. I recommend to make your decision as early as possible because the window is getting closed soon.

Ben

Ben….. M., May 26, 2021 at 9:25 pm

RAGBRAI Riders,

Please advice for carpool to end town and back.

Thank everyone for responding.

Ben

Rich Knopman, May 29, 2021 at 2:22 pm

Hi. I’m in Reston. Carpooling would be fun, but the 12+ hour drive from here sounds really long. I think I’d rather fly.

Rich

Ben….. M., May 29, 2021 at 3:35 pm

Hi Rich,

I agree that the driving is long. That is tge reason I like to carpool as can be fun and share the driving. I have done it many years and we control our schedule.

Thanks for comments!

Ben

T. Gap Woo, May 30, 2021 at 9:08 am

Good morning, Ben!

I seem to recall that, for the past few Ragbrai rides, you posted many times that you were looking for rides. Were you successful in your searches? If so, have you reached out to those people again?

May I offer an alternative? If you are super rich and money is no object, take an Uber or Lyft! 🤪

See you along the I-O-Way in July, maybe.

This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by T. Gap Woo.

Ben….. M., May 30, 2021 at 5:56 pm

Hi T. Gap Woo,

Thanks for your crazy response!!! I have done many year carpool to RAGBRAI and didn’t have any problem to sharing driving. This year, many riders are in wait and see and didn’t sign up including many of my friends. Also, I drove to Iowa by myself.

I am NOT crazy as you are to take uber to Iowa as your suggestion is out of wall, HAHAHA. If II want to get her there, I can drive or fly!!

Thanks

Ben

Rich Knopman, May 31, 2021 at 8:58 am

Ben, after thinking about it, I’m more interested than I was the other day. Flight + airport time + labor to disassemble, ship, and reassemble the bike almost makes the time commitment even out.

What do you propose as transport? I own a sedan with a one-bike limit :-(. Do you have a van or SUV or were you looking for someone with one? Or are you thinking of renting?

I’m hoping to join a team based in Des Moines. My preference would be to leave mid-Friday morning and have Saturday to find a ride to Des Moines to meet up with the team and get to the start town. Do you have plans for getting to the start town?

Cheers,
Rich

Ben….. M., June 3, 2021 at 10:23 am

Hi Rich,

I agree with you as I have made different options and got to this conclusion of driving has many advantages (flexibility) and some disadvantages ( distance driving).
I can propose to add my bike track to your car which have multiple slots for bikes. If you like to drive your sedan to end town.

I don’t know if you have joined a team in Des Moines that you want to connect or you are looking for a team in the city. Let me know and I may have some suggestions. Also, if you let me know, I can contact some charters if they go to Des Moines or making any recommendation.

As point of my plan based on previous experiences, I like to be in the end town on Fri for several reasons so leaving sometime on late Thursday would be preferable.
Please let me know what you think and how I can share my experiences helping you.

Cheers,

Ben

Ben….. M., June 18, 2021 at 1:25 pm

Hi RAGBRAI Riders,

I hope everyone has a good time and riding their bikes. I am looking forward to this year route.

Is anyone driving from DMV ( DC Area) to end town? I am looking for carpool to end town and come back.

Cheers,

Ben

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI