Like Your Electric Derailleurs? Were there issues?

Ah, I must be considering a new bike as evidenced by my hydraulic brake post.

Considering the SRAM wireless derailleurs. Although I know I’d likely be someone who forgets to recharge the battery when needed. Or forget to replace the lever batteries before they fail.

Did anyone have issues with their electric derailleurs, SRAM, Campy or Shimano?

This topic was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by mootsman.

1 Reply

Jboz, October 17, 2020 at 7:11 am

My superpower is the ability to take a derailleur that only needs a slight adjustment…and turn it into a hopelessly clattering, skipping frustrating experience. In fact, I can just look at a rear derailleur and it will commence skipping. So despite my extreme skepticism, I took the plunge and kitted out my bike with Shimano Di2. I have to say, so far it has far exceeded my expectations. Shifts have been smooth, fast, and reliable…perfect actually. The challenge with cable activated derailleurs is that with use over time the cable stretches. With each tiny bit of stretch, the derailleur gets increasingly off track and needs adjusting, which greatly increases the odds of me totally f-ing the thing up. Electronic shifting eliminates this entirely…barring damage or a bent hanger, the derailleur will shift exactly the same at 5000 miles as it did when it rolled out of the shop. Some people are wizards with derailleur adjustments…I’m just not one of them.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015