RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Local Attractions along the Route?

Has anyone done any research for any type of attraction in any of the towns or along the route that would be worth stopping and checking out? Or anyone from the areas we will be going through with inside knowledge of some must-see spots?

6 Replies

Gene, May 14, 2018 at 6:49 am

I research every town we pass through to get its history. The night before the next days ride I have a nightly reading and share about the towns we are going through.

jwsknk, May 14, 2018 at 7:57 am

Boone has Mamie Eisenhower’s birthplace and the Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad and museum. near each other but might be a bit off route, both north of downtown and the tracks. If the current route in Ames holds, you need to go off route to see the ISU campus and sorority circle. https://www.fpm.iastate.edu/maps/
https://www.greek.iastate.edu/resources/map

Josh Wiley, May 14, 2018 at 3:58 pm

Riverside is the “future birthplace” of Capt. Kirk and has a museum, Enterprise model, etc.

Mike Howe, May 15, 2018 at 8:41 am

Doesnt RAGBRAI usually send out attractions, points of interests, etc for each town? I think they did it last year. I dont remember when they sent it out though….

jwsknk, May 15, 2018 at 8:45 am

I think that will be mid June, after the “inspection” ride, the chance the TJ actually gets to ride the route as a cyclist.

trek2300, May 15, 2018 at 9:28 am

The feedback from the pre-ride is usually spot on and their comments on “hot spots to see” are frequently some of the high points of my trips. Still, some of the most memorable moments are serendipitous. For example, last year I pulled off at a farmer’s GatorAde stand for a break. We started chatting and discovered that he was a cousin of a man my mother worked with for 20 years. Go figure!

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters