Looking for a ride from Poughkeepsie, NY to Onawa

I can meet you at NYC or Beacon,NY or lower upstate NY. I have a recumbent Bacchetta Giro 20.

5 Replies

Joe Stalvey, April 18, 2018 at 8:41 pm

Hi, Chun. My name is Joe Stalvey. I live in Saratoga Springs and, pending the lottery result, am making travel plans to get to the ride. I did consider driving but could not get around the logistical hassles and am leaning toward Amtrak. Would you be interested in splitting the cost of a sleeper car on the way out? It would be about $300 each. I can share details of a possible itinerary if you are interested. I will be boarding in Albany; the train does stop at Poughkeepsie.

Chun Fong, April 19, 2018 at 9:49 am

Hi, I will be bringing my recumbent ( Bacchetta Giro 20 ) to the ragbrai. And since Amtrak does not accept recumbents, I would have to ship the recumbent instead of boxing it and bringing it with me on the amtrak.
Are you planning to take the amtrak from Albany to Onawa or to Chicago?

I was thinking of either getting a ride in someone’s car or mini-van with my recumbent , OR just ship the recumbent and fly to Omaha or Chicago..

Peter Lehrer, April 21, 2018 at 2:29 pm

Hi Chun, I am Peter Lehrer. Pending the lottery, I will be looking for transportation from NYC and am considering driving.

Joe Stalvey, April 22, 2018 at 8:24 pm

Chun-Thanks for the reply. I did not know Amtrak does not accept recumbents-I see nothing to that effect in the FAQ on bikes but I may have missed it. My big issue with driving is that I could not figure out how to avoid having the vehicle at the wrong end of the state either before or after the ride. If there were two vehicles involved, that could be less of an issue. I am keeping my travel options open until the lottery results are posted. Fingers crossed in that regard.

trek2300, April 23, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Joe: You can drive to Davenport and leave your vehicle there. Long term parking for the week will probably be less than $70 but the Davenport folks haven’t gotten that far yet. At Davenport you can take a bus from one of the charters to Onawa Saturday morning. Brancel Charters offers the bus option; others may as well. In any case, sign up for a bus early.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015