Looking for a 'Sober' bike team.

Hi all.

I am looking for a team for myself and a few friends for 2019. I would like a team that doesn’t drink after the rides at ‘camp’ or at least not a lot. More interested in enjoying the ride and not the party as much.

17 Replies

Patty Weddington, January 9, 2019 at 10:54 am

Definitely go with Padres Cycle Inn. Great charter service.

Steve Nesnidal, January 10, 2019 at 8:08 am

I’d also be interested as a solo rider in joining a sober team, perhaps also pooling resources for transport to/fro. I’m coming from Chicago to do the full week’s ride.

Aaron Marx, January 10, 2019 at 10:55 am

Hey,

I’m a fellow Chicagoan thinking of solo riding this year as well, depends on the route so I’m waiting for the announcement. Maybe we keep in touch and perhaps help each other out? I’m there for the ride and might have one or two beers after a ride on occasion, so technically not a ‘sober’ participant but I’m not a partier by any means.

Let me know if you’re interested. If I go this will be my 3rd RAGBRAI. Cheers (Ha!).

Neil Jolly, January 10, 2019 at 7:55 pm

where are you coming from, we have a group from our church going from Joliet Il by school bus.

Steve Nesnidal, January 11, 2019 at 10:40 am

Thank you for your response. I’m coming from Lakeview/Wrigleyville Chicago area, so Joilet would be a bit far. I do love the Joliet Canal trail btw. My fav in IL.

Steve Nesnidal, January 11, 2019 at 10:44 am

Yes, Aaron, we should keep in touch. I’ve been on 3 Ragbrai’s but not sure this time I need the charter service I’ve used last 2 times. First time I went with general population and maybe it was best of all, so may try that again.

Larry Klaaren, January 11, 2019 at 11:54 am

Neil,
I live in New Lenox and would love a ride from Joliet. I have some medical tests at the end of the month and depending on the results will be signing up ASAP after that.
I am not necessarily looking for a team, but if a “not a big party” team presented itself, I would be listening. I am currently planning on chartering with Brancel or Bikes to You depending on space. Both are great operators.
Larry

This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Larry Klaaren. Reason: Clarification

Nate Purdy, January 12, 2019 at 9:20 am

Hi Neil. I would be interested in going with your team. Could you send me an email to n_purdy@yahoo.com? I’d like to know more.

Neil Jolly, January 12, 2019 at 11:27 am

neiljolly50@gmail.com

Melinda Blankenhorn, January 14, 2019 at 6:26 pm

Our team is not open to more members because we are high school girlfriends from 1980 and our car is full. However, I just wanted to let you know that not everyone drinks on Ragbrai! We don’t at all. I know others don’t as well, especially families that participate. I think the drinking is just what you see advertised a lot. However, many ride past the beer tents. You will be just fine.

Dwight Kallembach, April 8, 2019 at 6:44 pm

Hello to All,

I signed up as a solo rider but would love to join a team. This will be my first ride in RAGBRI. I am from Lexington Kentucky. I am not a partier. I may have 4 – 5 drinks a year. I am sure I won’t even have one drink at this event. I am into the enjoyment of the ride. Email me at dkallembach@gmail.com

Thanks
Dwight Kallembach

Roy Trent, April 10, 2019 at 10:34 am

Currently, my wife and I in our 50’s (and potential driver) are in as a 3 person team from Columbus Ohio. This will be our 3rd Ragbrai and we have used host housing in the past (with a couple of camping nights when housing was not available). We are open to adding 2 additional and perhaps an alternate driver and using an RV this year.
We are laid back, non-drinkers, fairly early to bed & ride early before it gets hot, like chilling in the evening with other riders/hosts and enjoying good conversation. Currently, even with an RV, we would still use school showers(or host showers) when close by, dinner in town etc. The primary purpose of the RV is for the AC when needed, a quiet sleeping area and a quick breakfast in the morning.
If interested, lets start a conversation to see we are a good fit.

Steve Nesnidal, April 10, 2019 at 11:52 am

Roy,
I plan to fly into Omaha and take Amtrak back to Chicago from Burlington on day 6. I’d welcome joining up with your team in CB on Sat for 6d if you have room. I quit drinking 20 years ago, but social drinkers are fine by me. I’m more interested in connecting with a regular camping crew than anything, to avoid solo for the whole week (though I ride solo without issue, or can ride max 16 mph pace if motivated by food).
I’d contribute to the RV cost as well as chores/food runs, etc. in exchange for the comraderie of a suitable group and of course the A/C on hot nights. Your ideal teammates would prob be local Ohioans, though, unless you don’t want a full crew in the rv on trip up and back. I’m 53, professional, intermediate cyclist (but fully capable of slacking midride for righteous pie), doing RAGBRAI 4. I’d willingly provide further pertinent personal details via my email if I might fit:
snesnidal@hotmail.com

Larry Klaaren, April 10, 2019 at 1:06 pm

A charter like Brancel would work well for you. There a quite a few who sit on the lawn chairs and drink soda or just a beer or two in the evening, then hit the hay. The partiers go downtown to the venues but they did not disturb me at all when they came back. The nice thing about charters is they do everything for you except get you food. You might have to put up your own tent. Brancel has an in camp dinner one night, and sometimes they camp at a golf course or a church with a school that serves up a meal for those who want it (at a pretty reasonable price last year). They have muffins, fruit, some sandwiches and coffee milk, etc. when you get up.

This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Larry Klaaren.

Mike Murphy, April 13, 2019 at 9:41 pm

I have used Brancel six times. I don’t drink and I have enjoyed every year with them.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015