Join Us in July - Register Today!

Looking for Advice

<FONT face=”Times New Roman”>I’ve been reading the posts on this forum and learning a lot, and I’d like to tap into your collective advice. Since I buy a new road bike every 15-20 years, a lot has changed from the time when I bought my Trek 420. I’d appreciate reading your opinions on 2 different component sets: Shimano Ultegra versus Shimano 105. Are there other components I should be considering?</FONT>

4 Replies

Sprinklerman, February 4, 2011 at 11:01 am

Depends on the depth of your pockets. 105’s will do most just fine but if you want to make long term investment and got the cash upgrade to Ultegra. I was in a shop this week looking at the 2011 Treks with Ultegra and salivating. I ride a 7 year old road bike with a mix of 105/Ultegra. If I make the jump I’ll go Ultegra. It is amazing how the technology of cycling moves forward. I also believe that Ultegra today is not the same as Ultegra five years ago.  A GOOD local bike shop will walk you through the specifics.

Satman, February 4, 2011 at 11:16 am

I agree with sprinklerman.  As with so many things, buy the most you can afford.
This is a case of getting what you pay for.  The Ultegra’s will shift smoother and hold up better.  I’ve got about 12,000 miles on my Ultegra’s, and they have been great.  Bike transporting has bashed them numerous times, and I’m tired of bending them back into shape, so I’m going to replace them, but that’s not a product problem.  I could replace them with anything, and I choose to stick with them.  Great price-performance.

RonB, February 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Just depends on what you want to spend.  I’d question whether us non pro riders, if blindfolded, could tell the difference between 105 & Ultegra.  I’m told the weight between the two is the biggest difference, but only a few grams.

You can’t go wrong with either, but, if you’ve got the cash, go for Ultegra.  I’d about guarantee that the 105 today is way better than whatever you now have on your 420!

biking mama, February 4, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate the comments. Ultegra is discounted this weekend at my LBS – so the pricing difference is rather narrow. Looks like there is another Trek in my future!

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters