looking for child friendly charters

Am planning to do the ride with my daughter, who’ll turn 10 that week.

This will be her first travel-adventure, so I’d like to pay a charter to have the tent and gear all set than do it on our own (more time to explore and have fun), but I’m not finding any that emphasize children. That doesn’t mean they don’t exist, just that I’m not finding them.

Also, when I was growing up in the Midwest, it didn’t seem as unusual for children to do the ride as it does today.

19 Replies

KenH, June 17, 2018 at 8:32 pm

The dalebob crew will not be the only ones in costume although theirs will grab your attention for sure! What we all want to know is if the dalebob band will be performing in any pass-through towns this year? I noticed that last year you sat in with a power trio of amazingly talented young boys in some town whose name I forget!

Brandi Bresson, June 17, 2018 at 8:56 pm

Bill Barry, I’m a bit nervous about the hills myself. We will be amongst the slow, stopping, eating crowd too. Maybe we will bump into you (hopefully not literally!)

LawnchairMan, June 17, 2018 at 11:03 pm

Oops! I tried to add a comma and lost all the text.

LawnchairMan, June 18, 2018 at 7:24 pm

KenH,

I agree with much of what you say in your posts, but I disagree with your 100% blame for the adult in a crash with a child. I agree that Ragbrai is not a race, but it’s not a community day care either. Certainly I would feel bad about crashing with a child, or anyone for that matter. But youth is no excuse.

Children can cause accidents. Case in point, I was riding a local trail when a group of riders came around a blind corner towards me. There was a girl, maybe 10, riding in my lane. I had a quick decision between the desert or crashing with the girl. She was totally in the wrong. I assume she wasn’t trained, so she had no business being there. I chose the desert of course, and just had to restart in too high a gear.

At Ragbrai there could be all kinds of problems to cause anyone to veer suddenly into the path of another rider. That rider doesn’t have to be riding recklessly either. Would it be my fault if a youth has a flat or hits a crack in the road that sends her suddenly in my way? A gust of wind or another rider could do it too. I agree with Ratscallion that it is the responsibility of the parent to teach their child how to ride safely in a group.

I consider myself a fast rider at Ragbrai, but that doesn’t mean I am careless. I will be looking out for anyone I think is inexperienced and give them a wide berth. If there is little room, I slow until I pass that point.

Ken, we have discussed this before and I appreciate most of what you say. Ragbrai riders come in with a wide range of experience. That can be dangerous and we need to be constantly on guard. Even seasoned riders can make mistakes. But it doesn’t matter how old a rider is. Unless you aren’t steering, once you are on that road, you take the responsibility.

Viewing 4 replies - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015