The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Looking for transport from SWFL; just moved here from Midwest.

I live in Cape Coral (Southwest Florida) and am looking to hitch a ride to & from RAGBRAI. I will gladly share expenses and driving. If your team is flying but have a trailer going with bikes/gear, I’d love to rent some bike/gear space on your trailer. Any transportation advice/tips are welcome.

Thanks! Jenny Jensen, Team SLAP! (Squeak Like a Pig!)

6 Replies

FloridaMike, January 18, 2018 at 9:33 pm

Hello Jenny. I also live in the Cape. I grew up in Iowa but moved here in 2000 after 20 years in the Minneapolis area. I used to drive up to Iowa to join my team but last year I used Bike Flights
(www.BikeFlights.com) to ship my bike and I just flew up. I went to the Trek store on Pine Island Road and picked up an empty bike box, disassembled it (go on youtube or they will do it for you) packed it in the box and dropped it off at FedEx on Metro Parkway. The bike arrived in perfect condition to my parents house in Waterloo, Iowa for about $58.00.

Jenny Jensen, January 19, 2018 at 8:10 am

Thanks, FloridaMike! Bike Flight looks like a great solution. Now all I need to do now is book my flight and get in more miles on my bike.

bphawkeye, January 19, 2018 at 11:01 am

I’m also from Cape Coral. Did my first full ragbrai last year. I’m thinking about attempting again this year. Are you guys with a team? I found out last year from the social side, that it’s probably better to be involved with a team. Last year I drove, made a couple stops on the way. Waiting for the route and than gonna decide my plan. Where and when do you guys ride in the Cape?

Jenny Jensen, January 19, 2018 at 6:06 pm

I ride with Team SLAP!, a small team which is based out of Des Moines. I ride 3-4 times a week but am hoping to do a bit more. Generally, I ride during the day on the Cape Coral Chamber of Commerce Route (25 mile loop south of veterans, including return via Veterans) and the Physicians Primary Care route (38 mile loop, north of Veterans, including return via Veterans).

I am hoping to get over to Ft. Myers and try some of the multi-use pathways. Drivers here seem to be a bit distracted;I’d rather not share the road if I don’t have to.

Let me know if you decide to drive. Perhaps we could share driving?

Tbelloise, January 22, 2018 at 10:48 am

Hello Jenny
I live in Ft. Lauderdale and am interested in transporting my bike. I am planning to fly in to the finishing town, and find a ride to the start. Also if you find a team from Florida please let me know, at this point I am solo but wouldn’t mind finding a group to ride and share expenses. Thanks

bphawkeye, January 22, 2018 at 1:09 pm

Jenny,
Just rode the tour de cape yesterday. metric century. It appears from your ride locations that we kind of ride in the same area. I usually ride at night, the working thing still gets in the way of biking. Weekends i head up on old burnt store area. I know quite a few of the local riders and post rides on strava.
like i said previously, pretty sure that i would be driving but haven’t figured the logistics etc. yet.
Tbeloise,
I also would like to find a team to hang with, a florida team would be great. not sure how a person goes about finding a team though. any help with this, posters would be helpful
Also i will probably go with PBCharters like i did last year. Not sure how that works with the team equation.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013