RAGBRAI L Concert Series Announced!

Map Errors?

I think have found some inaccuracies in the daily route maps for this year’s Ragbrai. I assume these maps are just to give us the idea of the route with all the bugs worked out later.
On Days Three and Four we will be riding near Emmetsburg on road B55. What is labeled as D55 is just another part of B55.
Day Five is missing the label for road B35 or 245th street. This is as we leave Mason City and it connects Kentucky and Thrush streets.
On Day Seven the Yellow River Road does the ENE heading section after Postville. This joins X 16 at a T intersection. X 16 goes mostly North and is labeled I76 on the Ragbrai map. We are only on 76 for about half a mile before we turn onto 9 which takes us into Waukon. Finally, we finish the ride on x 52 or the Great River Road which is not shown.
I know we have lots of time yet to verify the maps, but I don’t want others to be wondering about them as I was. Let me know if what I pointed out is confusing or if I have made a mistake. I’m just getting the fever.

26 Replies

LawnchairMan, April 6, 2022 at 12:54 pm

Oops, I tried to edit, but it wouldn’t let me. I think I see another discrepancy for day Four. Between Wesley and Britt the Ragbrai map labels the road as 18. But the shape of the road looks like road 225. I would prefer to avoid highway 18 if I can. Can we get an official verification on which street we actually take? Thanks.

Gregory, April 6, 2022 at 2:11 pm

Hi Greg with the Donner Party, I am making maps for are team could you look at them and see what i have wrong with them?
Thanks,
Greg

David, April 6, 2022 at 2:30 pm

I noted (complained) about 18 between Wesley & Britt on FB the day the route was released. No response. They are nearly parallel and it seems insane to ride on 18. There is no hard shoulder and it is a significant drop to the gravel shoulder. The state patrol does a decent job hosting us in a lot of ways but managing traffic on roads like that hasn’t really been good. This section seems pointlessly risky if real.

LawnchairMan, April 6, 2022 at 3:09 pm

Hi Greg,
If I were you I would wait for the official maps. Ragbrai usually produces laminated daily maps that are held together with a ring, like a shower curtain hanger. I got them from my charter, but I think the maps are free at the Ragbrai merchandise truck.

David,
Thank you for the confirmation and road observations. I don’t Facebook, so I didn’t see your note. I will probably take 225th street even if it is not official. I finally found a speed sign of 55 mph on 225th street. I assume that highway 18’s speed limit is 70 mph. That should reduce traffic on 225 so it would be safer for us. It looks like a new very flat cement road, so we could really fly. I’m eager to try it!

This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by LawnchairMan.

czysk, April 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm

In 2010 the route btwn Wesley and Britt was 225th st Someone fixed the old grain elevator and re-sided it with red vinyl siding Must be gone, I don’t see it on the google maps

Jimbodog, April 7, 2022 at 7:16 am

Between Wesley and Britt (Old Hiway 18) 225th street runs parallel to Hiway 18. Not sure if 225th (Old 18) goes all the way east to Britt. Maybe someone from the area could chime in. Is 225th (Old 18) in good enough condition for bicycles? Perhaps we will ride on Hiway 18 and traffic will be detoured onto 225th. I wouldn’t think so but …. I am sure all will end well and the road condition will be safe.

Lawnchairman
On Days Three and Four we will be riding near Emmetsburg on road B55. What is labeled as D55 is just another part of B55.
The top tier of Iowa’s county roads are marked A as in A17 , A33 and A34 . These roads are east and west directions. The second tier of counties are marked B such as B14, B53 and B55. The third C and so on. County D55 would be in the fourth tier. I assume that was a typo.
Starting on the west side of Iowa county road are marked as K, L, M, N, O, P and follow the alphabet to the east border.

On the county road B55 there is a small town of Rodman not listed on the Ragbrai route map. The population was 31 at the time of the 2020 census. Not sure if any vendors will set up there but a heck of a good spot for a party! We don’t actually pass through Rodman but B55 is the south side city limits.

LawnchairMan, April 7, 2022 at 9:24 am

Jimbodog,
Thank you for the info on the county road tier system. I couldn’t find D55 on Google Maps so your thought of a typo is probably correct. I used street view and saw the B55 road marker on the road labeled D55 on the Ragbrai map. I think it is interesting that B55 is 430th street until it passes by Rodman then bends down to become 440th street.

Denton Kernodle, April 7, 2022 at 12:00 pm

Maps, why do anybody need a map? Just follow the crowd.

David, April 7, 2022 at 12:03 pm

Some of the crowd has to be early enough there isn’t a crowd in front of them. I have been there, it is peaceful.

LawnchairMan, April 7, 2022 at 1:56 pm

I have been lost at Ragbria at least three times. Once thinking the riders turning were stopping for food, once following riders on the wrong road and a time when several of us missed the sign. So, now I look at the maps closely to know when to expect a turn. I ride early to avoid lines. I usually start in the dark following a long line of flashing red lights. I think one time I passed all of them so I was the lead rider. I didn’t get lost that time.

KenH, April 7, 2022 at 2:19 pm

All minor details. Day 3 is missing the gravel route entirely! There has been so little official discussion of it that one begins to wonder if there really is one this year.

Jimbodog, April 8, 2022 at 5:07 am

KenH.
Yes, the gravel route is on day three. Locally it has been spoken of and will be published soon. Stay tuned!

Jimbodog, April 8, 2022 at 5:32 am

Lawnchairman,
BTW the county road system is set up for 911 emergency calls for both gravel and pavement. Streets run west and east. Avenues run north and south. When you use satellite maps you will see paved roads marked such as B55 then turn into a street where the pavement ends and becomes gravel.
I am planning a 146-mile three-day route from my home to my son and daughter -in -laws to celebrate my Granddaughters first birthday. It is a combination of gravel, pavement and trails. The satellite maps are great!
If you would like anymore of my drivel, no matter how useful or useless I am around now and then.

LawnchairMan, April 8, 2022 at 2:55 pm

Jimbodog,
Thanks, I will keep you in mind for other Iowa road issues.
Your trek to your Granddaughter’s birthday sounds like fun. Are you doing it in reverse to get back? Camping? Solo? Be safe!

KenH, April 9, 2022 at 7:58 am

Life is good again, the gravel route is out now!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI