MapMyRide and Climbs

I have not mapped the routes but looking at other people’s on mapmyride – although the first couple of days are hilly – none of the climbs appear to get anything less than a 5 on mapmyride. Do you think this is accurate? What kind of grades can I expect? I’m a newbie and though I’ve logged a 1000 miles – I seem to have done so without a heck of a lot of climbing. 

4 Replies

Dave Merriman, July 19, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I haven’t ridden these routes but assuming you’re reasonably trained, (1000 miles should be good!) and you have modern gearing on your bike, you’ll be fine.  Although it looks like a lot of climbing on paper, remember that it’s rollers with just as many ‘downs’ as “ups”.    If you hit a hill that’s a little more serious, just gear down and keep spinning…we’re not racing.

Frankly, I’m more concerned about the heat and hoping that it breaks before we all hit the road.

sestrain, July 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I don’t have anywhere near 1000 miles in and I’m not too concerned.  I rode the first day route last Sunday in 6 1/2 hours pushing it a little because of the empty road.  Most of the time going up hills, I’m in my lowest gear.

GracelandBiker, July 19, 2011 at 8:02 pm

We just completed our 1st 1500 on the new bikes — after every ride that had a hill more killer than the last ride I’d check on mapmyride to see if it was ranked on their climbing scale.  Most were either too short or not steep enough to count. I came to realize that the grading scale is the same that’s use for the Tour de France. We finally found one 5 and it was rather nasty.We’ve only got 2 hills this year that rate as a 5 (lowest to count) — both on the ride into Boone (Pilot Mound, and then it looks like Story Street in Boone is another doozy). Also, according to mapmyride Boone is a weird space/time warp zone. My advice: don’t wear the redshirts (redkits?) that day – they never make it back to the ship alive.

NathanZ, July 20, 2011 at 8:23 am

Don’t worry about it. You’ll be fresh those first 2 days and your 1000 miles will see you through. Follow all the normal tips you’ll be amazed at what you’ll accomplish!(water, use pass through towns as chow stops, ect) 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI