Maquoketa No Longer Hosting in 2021

From the RAGBRAI Maquoketa Facebook page:

After much consideration, and after compiling input from our RAGBRAI Advisory Board, volunteers, County Emergency Management Coordinator, local law enforcement, and local health officials, Maquoketa has made the difficult decision to not host the 2021 RAGBRAI. While we were excited to be chosen as an overnight stop for 2020, we are facing hurdles in 2021 that include a major road construction project impacting a main entryway corridor, and a reduced number of available volunteers as Mauqoketa will be hosting the County Fair that same weekend. Safety is our top priority, and with the construction project underway and additional traffic that RAGBRAI would bring, this was a concern. The improvements will provide easier access and an impressive entryway to our community – and we look forward to hosting RAGBRAI in the future when we are able to put “our best foot forward” for the riders, support crews, charter groups and vendors. We wish you a successful and healthy 2021 RAGBRAI!

11 Replies

klkoopman, October 14, 2020 at 11:56 am

Hold the presses on all RAGBRAI t-shirts & coffee cups that have a town list or map printed on them. New contest: name the replacement overnight town. I predict De Witt, Iowa.

hnschipper, October 14, 2020 at 12:13 pm

I like DeWitt as an alternative. Would potentially make Friday a little longer and Saturday a little shorter.

Matt Riddell, October 14, 2020 at 1:20 pm

Oh their decision impacts more than just Maquoketa. I feel sorry for the meeting towns coming in and exiting. Oxford Junction and Miles are directly impacted and lose out, not to mention the pass throughs. Someplace else will gain obviously. DeWitt is simply too close I believe. A 20 mile final day? My guess would go to Tipton. They have overnighted for LeClaire and Davenport which are roughly the same distance as to Clinton. To further that guess, Oxford Junction could still be included as a meeting town and maintain the original mileage for that day. It doesn’t make the shortest last day, but three times Anamosa has been the final overnight, even ending in Clinton once.

klkoopman, October 14, 2020 at 2:29 pm

From meeting town Oxford Junction one could head southeast to De Witt for maybe 10-15 extra miles than what’s figured now for day five. Heading north from De Witt on day 6, one can putz around all day in those hills, even keeping Miles as the meeting town. As the crow flies, De Witt and Clinton are very close but a northeast arc would be, I assume, a challenging day.

hnschipper, October 14, 2020 at 2:37 pm

When has RAGBRAI ever taken the shortest, most direct route from overnight to overnight? πŸ™‚

“Bicycle Bill”, October 15, 2020 at 12:44 am

“When has RAGBRAI ever taken the shortest, most direct route from overnight to overnight? πŸ™‚ ”
The first half of 1978 (my first RAGBRAI) was pretty much a straight line from Sioux City to Storm Lake to Humboldt to Iowa Falls to Vinton (a true 100-mile day, without the need for those sissy loops). Then we dropped south to Mount Vernon, backtracked north and continued east to Maquoketa and finally to Clinton.

Even with the true century, it was only 440 miles from border to border.
-“BB”-

KenH, October 15, 2020 at 9:43 am

Sounds like a good call on the town’s part. Sorry about the impact on Maquoketa and the other towns that would have been on the route. There will be other years.

It does open the door to a route guessing contest. Will the RAGBRAI team put one together? I suspect they will, the absence this year was due to factors beyond their control and it is time to revive the tradition even if this one will be pretty limited in scope (unless they make it to predict all the remaining passthru towns!, hmmm….). I predict that no matter how broad or limited in scope I will get none of the towns correct.

David Strahl, October 25, 2020 at 1:19 pm

This change opens up a visit to the river on Friday by going to Bellevue which would pick up some of the pass through towns that would have been on the previous route. Then picking up the same towns going into Clinton on Saturday. A good option that I hope is considered.

Papa T, October 26, 2020 at 10:35 am

I heard (unsubstantiated) that this was because of a conflict with their county fair? did the town give a reason?

hnschipper, October 26, 2020 at 1:00 pm

PapaT, they gave two reasons – both in the original post.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015