Maquoketa No Longer Hosting in 2021

From the RAGBRAI Maquoketa Facebook page:

After much consideration, and after compiling input from our RAGBRAI Advisory Board, volunteers, County Emergency Management Coordinator, local law enforcement, and local health officials, Maquoketa has made the difficult decision to not host the 2021 RAGBRAI. While we were excited to be chosen as an overnight stop for 2020, we are facing hurdles in 2021 that include a major road construction project impacting a main entryway corridor, and a reduced number of available volunteers as Mauqoketa will be hosting the County Fair that same weekend. Safety is our top priority, and with the construction project underway and additional traffic that RAGBRAI would bring, this was a concern. The improvements will provide easier access and an impressive entryway to our community – and we look forward to hosting RAGBRAI in the future when we are able to put “our best foot forward” for the riders, support crews, charter groups and vendors. We wish you a successful and healthy 2021 RAGBRAI!

22 Replies

Tim McTaggart, November 19, 2020 at 12:30 pm

I was thinking Dubuque would be a good ending town. It would get the mileage up and there would be some hills. I know some people like to end with a short day but since we missed out in 2020, we need to make up a few miles. Just a thought.

KenH, November 19, 2020 at 1:40 pm

I doubt that they would dump Clinton as an end town. We have done Anamosa to Clinton before in 2012, my first RAGBRAI. But that would leave us a day short. So you would expect that they have to add an overnight town before or after Anamosa. Taking a cue from last year they could add either Muscatine or Davenport as overnight towns, then ride up the river (sort of) to Clinton on Saturday. They could take a jog from Waterloo to somewhere to Anamosa and then from there to Clinton. The Cedar Rapids/Iowa City/Mount Vernon area is one possibility. Or they could steal an idea from some other big rides and have a loop that starts and ends in one of remaining overnight towns to fill up the week. Or they could add another overnight town anywhere in the week and push the following towns all back one day. I doubt that any town is too tied to their assigned day at this point as to make that a hardship much less an impossibility.

I guess what I am saying is that I see the makings of a guess the route contest here even if we do know most of it by now. There are actually some fairly explicit route maps on the website now, something I only noticed today. But of course to make it interesting RAGBRAI would have to be willing to put the fill in town anywhere in the week and announce that as its official policy in order to make the guessing complexity comparable to other years. I am sure that would open up some interesting route options.

BTW, has anyone else ever noticed that DeWitt is not too far from Clinton? Anyone else know why that might be amusing?

Mike Murphy, November 19, 2020 at 1:57 pm

I would hope they would leave Clinton as the ending town. Ragbrai commmited to leave the route as is for 2021, losing one town should only require them to replace that stop. Clinton and the other stops should be rewarded for their efforts in securing their spot for 2020.

T. Gap Woo, November 19, 2020 at 2:14 pm

BTW, has anyone else ever noticed that DeWitt is not too far from Clinton? Anyone else know why that might be amusing?

My two cents worth: add another overnight town on Friday, along the river. Then, we could have an extra day’s river ride into Clinton like Burlington-to-Keokuk two years ago. Can’t beat that with a stick!!

In answer to your question: DeWitt Clinton was a mayor of New York City, US Senator from New York and Governor of New York. He was instrumental in the construction of the Erie Canal (whose towpath makes for a nice bike ride from Buffalo to Albany nowadays!).

See you along the I-O-Way in 2021.

This reply was modified 6 days, 2 hours ago by T. Gap Woo.

klkoopman, November 24, 2020 at 2:49 pm

The plot thickens! Follow the below link to the DeWitt city council meeting of 11/16/20 and scroll to the end. Item of discussion #25 addresses the RAGBRAI issue. They are concerned with COVID, of course, but are generally positive to the idea of being an overnight town. One scoop: RAGBRAI will make next year’s ride decision on March 15, 2021.

https://www.cityofdewittiowa.org/vertical/sites/%7B5B1808CB-967B-4B4D-9F3C-428D701BC5B6%7D/uploads/11.16.20.Council.Background.pdf

Matt Riddell, November 25, 2020 at 6:22 am

It’s official! DeWitt will be a first time host town on the next ride. See the article.
https://www.dewittobserver.com/news/local/dewitt-will-host-ragbrai-overnight/article_56b981ca-2e9c-11eb-9208-2b6b5b7a52b3.html

Viewing 7 replies - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015