PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

Meeting Towns vs. Pass Through Towns

Hi all,

Conceptually, I think I understand the difference between these two types of towns. I’m guessing one you pass through, and the other you can meet your support vehicle and reconnect with your group. But are there any other differences? For example, one type has porta potties, the other doesn’t. One has food, other doesn’t. Or is it entertainment?

Would love to better understand.

Clearly a newbie,
Vicque

5 Replies

George A, June 19, 2019 at 1:19 pm

They are the same except that support vehicles are allowed to enter the Meeting Town. Support vehicles can not go into Pass Through towns. As for food and entertainment they all typically offer something it just depends what each individual town decides to do. Porta Potties will be in all of the above.

jwsknk, June 19, 2019 at 3:16 pm

the meeting town will have an official vehicle route in and out posted for the drivers to follow, It’s usually a town about half way through the day. Sometimes those towns have places set up for parking, other times it wherever you can find space on a street. As far as food, water, kybo’s, almost every town will have that, only a very small percentage of pass through towns won’t, they are usually unincorporated and have very few people, Sometimes towns are listed on the maps that no longer exist. They could be listed as a town site. Sometimes there might be a vendor there.

Bruce Woodrow, July 4, 2019 at 8:27 pm

The main difference I have noticed in the past is that some of the main food vendors will focus on the Meeting Towns. But most other towns have church groups, service clubs, school groups providing a range of food and drink. In the last two years I don’t recall a town that did not have a water station and port-a-Pottie’s.

Papa T, July 5, 2019 at 1:20 pm

tHWEW ARE kYBOS (Porta Potties) EVERYWHERE!!! But at least once, you have to pee in the corn. It is TRADITION!

George A, July 5, 2019 at 11:47 pm

Papa T,

I hope to see you this year on RAGBRAI. I will always remember 2017 when you hitched I ride with me and my son on the trip out to Orange City where we had to forge a breached river in order to carry on to Lansing to drop our one car. RAGBRAI creates memories that you will never forget.

I hope you are doing well.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014