Miles needed? How many hill miles?

This is my first full week of ragbrai, wondering how many miles people normally do to prepare for it? Also how many of those miles would you recommend are hills? I have been doing a variety and have logged over 300 in the last two weeks just trying to make sure I’m ready.

21 Replies

Heriberto Arroyo, June 21, 2018 at 3:44 pm

I’ll add one little advice.
You should taper off your training on the week of if not 10 days before the RABRAI.
The week of is not time to gain fitness. By all means get a few rides in but short and slow will be best.

That’s my 2 cents

Roy Trent, June 21, 2018 at 7:25 pm

This will be my second year at Ragbrai so I am much more confident than last year. I was well over trained last year(with about 2500 pre event miles) which made the week very easy, even the last couple of days with a fair amount of climbing. I even went and climbed Hosmer on the last day.
I have not done a lot of hills so far this this year, so last Saturday we went and did a 45 miler with 3100 feet including a couple of short 12% hills. We will not have anything like that this year but that gave me a good baseline of my climbing ability. I need to do a little more work so the week is enjoyable. I only have about 1000 miles in so far this year.
Work hard now and enjoy Ragbrai. I also agree with the advice above about resting before the ride. I usually take my bike in for an overhaul 2 or 3 weeks before major events and then just do easy rides for several days after I get the bike back.

John Bilsky, June 22, 2018 at 5:42 am

Young tough and a little crazy huh? Put some celestial miles on that bod of yours. You’ll then be old, tough and a LOT crazy.

ESchiers, June 23, 2018 at 5:34 pm

There’s a saying that works in the situation…

Train for the ride or the ride trains you.

Derek Fye, June 23, 2018 at 5:59 pm

My wife and I rode last year for our first time. She only rode 40 miles leading up to the event and she rode the whole week. She does strength training and she did not have any problem and got stronger throughout the week. I wouldn’t recommend it but it is possible.

Keith Lippincott, June 23, 2018 at 9:50 pm

This will be my first RAGBRAI. I have done several 40 mile rides. I am going to do hill training next week. I think learning how to gear was my biggest concern with the hills. I have ridden on windy days and that seems to have helped me to understand how to use my bike gears. I have 1100 miles on the bike. Still working on getting my undercarriage in shape.

Viewing 6 replies - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015