RAGBRAI virgin here and I have some questions that i have not figured out answers to yet. Would love your input on one (or all) of the following questions.
For context, I am doing the ride with my wife and we are registered riders but not part of a team and not using charter service. We’ll be relying on official RAGBRAI services only.
1. I see posts and videos of people emphasizing the need to have a fan with you in your tent. How do you power your fan?
2. On that same note, how do you charge your phones? Are those solar chargers any good?
3. Do you really need a sleeping bag? I live in Iowa City and it gets miserably hot and humid in July. Are there alternatives (we currently don’t have sleeping bags and will need to buy a pair)
4. I see people using air mattresses. Is that an option if we managed to make it work in terms of the max weight allowed? How do I blow the mattresses up? Is here power where we camp?
5. What kind of bag should I use? I heard that travel suitcases are not good. My gym bag is probably too small. Any suggestions on where to pick up a cheap large bag?
6. Do I need bike locks? I doubt people steal bikes on RAGBRAI but what do you suggest? Where do you keep your bike when you sleep at night (if you are staying at the main campground)?