PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

Missed turn at Dana

How many people missed the turn at Dana?
I saw all the bikes turn in to what I thought was just a vendor spot, and a driveway to a farmhouse. I kept going north. I stopped about a mile up suspecting a wrong move. Looking back I saw more riders coming, so I assumed we were going the right way and continued north. Turned out they thought I knew the route. So, it was the blind leading the blind. We went off course by three miles or so, so we got 6 extra miles. Other riders were heading our way as we went back. Just curious if there were more riders missing that turn.

5 Replies

gschmad, July 31, 2018 at 7:57 am

There is no Dana, only ZUUL……..

Matthew Lewis, August 2, 2018 at 4:00 pm

I am the keymaster. Are you the gatekeeper?

Thoreau, August 3, 2018 at 2:05 pm

I remember this–and that some people missed the turn. It was marked in a subtle way. Why would someone complain about this? Ragbrai does so many things right, from the thousands of cracks filled on the road, the great towns and beautiful route. Who expects everything to be perfect–one might as well stay home if one expects perfection. The week was terrific and I had a great time each day.

LawnchairMan, August 3, 2018 at 2:49 pm

Dear Thoreau,
Thank you for answering my question. I wondered if I’d missed something obvious.
It wasn’t a complaint. I got six extra miles that way. Got me to a total of 492 for the eight days.
This just teaches me to check the route more carefully.
This was my best Ragbrai, and I agree that TJ and the communities do a great job. That doesn’t mean they couldn’t improve here and there.

Thoreau, August 3, 2018 at 7:00 pm

Sorry, I was being a little cranky–and I apologize Yeah, I remember talking about this turn because it did look like we were making a turn into a long driveway. There were a few like that this year. I have a tendency to get out early from the overnight towns, around 5:30, so I am riding with fewer people and thus there is a greater chance for me to get lost. Nothing was like the detour in Blue Grass when I suddenly found myself in a gravel parking lot pushing my bike toward the exit–it was very dreamlike.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014