RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

More Newbie Questions

We are a group of 10 RAGBRAI newbies this year. A few questions that we haven’t found the answers to:

– All of us use clipless pedals. It sounds like we’ll do plenty of stopping/walking in the pass through towns. Do people typically carry a pair of sandals/shoes with them and switch out shoes as the day goes by?

– Do people typically bring sleeping bags or just a thermarest plus blanket/sheet? Sleeping bags sound very hot for the climate. (We are from the Rockies.)

– We have a SAG van that will be traveling with us. When the driver pulls into each overnight town, are they directed to an open camping area? On the town maps, we see lots of reserved spots for the charter services (i.e. PBV) – so we’re not sure where we’re supposed to open camp? Will we be able to pull the van close enough to drop off luggage/etc? Is there enough cell coverage for the driver to let the cyclists know where to land?

– Since we have the SAG van, would you recommend camp chairs?

Thank you! (and apologies if these questions have already been answered)

19 Replies

BillSpriggs, July 14, 2016 at 3:44 pm

I’ve had Verizon since 2013 and have never had a problem with coverage.

KenH, July 14, 2016 at 4:34 pm

I’ve also gotten good results with Verizon during RAGBRAI. Not always, but most of the time.

SPD pedals and shoes always worked well for me. They are not great hiking shoes of course and brands could vary but they are designed with walking in mind. To a greater extent than other kinds of shoes/cleats anyway.

515rider, July 14, 2016 at 11:49 pm

I recommend installing an offline map and downloading the Iowa map. You won’t likely have good data coming into town with everyone else on the network. I use MAPS.ME available on both Android or Apple.

slowandeasy, July 17, 2016 at 4:31 pm

The best thing your support person can do for you is give you a landmark instead of directions. Your route doesn’t match their route so their directions will just confuse things. If you have a landmark, you can ask someone local for directions. Also, a landmark is often more helpful than a street address. Lots of small towns have street names for 911 purposes but don’t actually use the street names much. Everyone will know where to send you if you are looking for the post office, the fire department, the water tower, or the baseball field. =)

Viewing 4 replies - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI