More reasons to celebrate

<font class=”fontsize11″><font class=”fontsize11″><font class=”fontcolor1″></font></font></font>

6 Replies

“Bicycle Bill”, December 24, 2010 at 11:39 am

<font class=”fontsize11″><font class=”fontsize11″><font class=”fontcolor1″>
</font></font></font>

“Bicycle Bill”, December 24, 2010 at 11:55 am

For some reason or another I am unable to post anything without these phantom tags showing up.  I’ll restart the computer and try it again in a little bit.<font class=”fontsize11″><font class=”fontsize11″><font class=”fontcolor1″>

</font></font></font>

knees36, December 24, 2010 at 12:28 pm

“Bicycle Bill” said: For some reason or another I am unable to post anything without these phantom tags showing up.  I’ll restart the computer and try it again in a little bit.<font class=”fontsize11″><font class=”fontsize11″><font class=”fontcolor1″> </font></font></font>

What???~~~BB is stumped?   Not for long  I’d wager.

cofb, December 24, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I get that when I try and copy and paste something into the forum BB <fontcolorbrownshower> <fontsize3000000000> ;-)

“Bicycle Bill”, December 24, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Yesterday was Festivus; today is Christmas Eve, and of course tomorrow is Christmas.  After that, I suspect that most of us are planning on taking it easy until next Friday night/Saturday AM when we whoop it up on New Year’s Eve and ring in New Year’s Day itself.

But we don’t need to stop!!  There are three lesser-known holidays in between Christmas and New Year’s, all of which lend themselves to the giving of gifts and other forms of celebration.
when
• BOXING DAY — of British origin and traditionally observed the day after Christmas, this is the day when people usually make small gifts to their servants, employees, and tradesmen (like the garbage man, the paperboy, or your hairdresser).

• KWANZAA — a recent addition to the holiday list (but still older than Festivus), this is a seven-day period of celebration running from December 26th through January 1st.  It is a week-long secular holiday period honoring African-American heritage and is unique in that it is observed almost exclusively in the USA.
    Founded in 1966 by controversial black nationalist Ron Karenga, Kwanzaa features activities such as candle-lighting and the pouring of libations, and culminates in a feast and gift-giving.  It is considered the African-American branch of “first-fruits” celebrations.

• HOGSWATCH — the brainchild of British author Terry Pratchett — creator of the ‘Discworld’ — Hogswatch is the festival celebrating winter solstice and the New Year across much of the Main Continent and some other areas of the Discworld.  It falls on the 36th of December with the new year beginning the next day (the 1st of Ick).
     Its chief character is the Hogfather —

— a sort of scary porcine version of Santa Claus, complete with tusks, who wears red and white to signify blood on snow, drives a sled drawn by wild boars, and brings the traditional Hogswatch presents of sausages and black puddings to good girls and boys (in more recent years these gifts have fallen out of favor and have been replaced by toys and sweets, much to the pleasure of both the children and the various merchants of the Discworld).  He is the most recent version of an ancient winter god associated with pig-killing, and recalls prehistoric pagan kingmaking rituals when smart bald men would palm a hard bean into the dish of the man they believed would make a good leader for a short time (and when winter *isn’t* defeated and the little old bald men sharpen the knives for a sacrificial victim, who better than the new king who isn’t working out?).
     Obviously, the Discworld calendar (in which there are 800 days to a year, eight days a week, and due to some interesting astronomical anomalies has two of each season — two summers, two winters, etc.) does not correspond with the Roundworld calendar, but that does not deter the true Pratchett fan.  Although there are those Discworld readers with a mathematical bent who have tried to synchronize the two calendars with a heretofore marked lack of success (most other people dismiss them as nerds and geeks with far too much time on their hands), at this time Hogswatch is celebrated on the Roundworld on December 31st.

So keep the season lively!!  I’m certain that there are plenty of other reasons to carry the celebration into January; I’ll do some research and post back.

-“BB”-

Sandaltan ., December 24, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Once again I am in awe!!  I am so sheltered.  Nothing left to do but crack a Bud Light.  We ran out of Leine FSNB.

RIDE RIGHT

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI