Mountain bike recommendations

Daughter Woo and my new son-in-law Woo are looking into a pair of mountain bikes to ride on the beaches of south Florida and the off-road opportunities available there and when they travel to more hilly country. Since I know nothing about mountain bikes, I referred her to the Ragbrai forums, as that’s where the experts reside.

Please share your expertise. Thanks.

I’ll see you along the I-O-Way in 2019.

4 Replies

KenH, August 6, 2018 at 4:36 pm

As this year’s “gravel” loop taught those of us brave enough to ride it, the fatter your tires are the better off you are for riding on sand. If I were buying a bike to ride on beaches I would look at fat tire bikes or at least 29+/27.5+ bikes that can take tires up to 3 inches/75 mm. No opinion on which one however. I’ve been looking at “adventure touring” bikes lately and have recently pulled the trigger on a Trek 920 which should be here in a few days. It might take tires as big as 2.5 inches but that would be a little slender for sandy beaches. Among the bikes I looked at for my own use the one that probably comes the closest to what your young’uns are looking for would be the Salsa Fargo.

But they might see it differently….

Anonymous, August 6, 2018 at 10:20 pm

Ken, YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE TREK 920! I rode all of this year’s RAGBRAI on it– SUPER FUN TO RIDE!

KenH, August 7, 2018 at 7:50 am

jpclark7, glad to hear your glowing report. While I am confident that I made an excellent decision, once you start to look at bikes it is hard not to come up with a dozen or so that you would like to have. Nagging doubts start to arise during the wait for delivery so thanks for the confirmation!

Meanwhile, good hunting to the Woo clan. Anyone else have suggestions for them?

Cory Rood, August 7, 2018 at 12:44 pm

Salsa Mukluk. Or if they want to get serious about single track a Salsa Bucksaw. I would get caught dead on sand with anything narrower than 3.8″ tires.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI