Join Us in July - Register Today!

Muscle CRAMPS

I keep getting hints of calf and arch cramps that creep into my toes. I have great biking shoes and I stretch every muscle I can, very thoroughly before and after my rides. I get them swimming, also! Which isn’t handy during a TRI!!!

More water? with/without electrolytes? Any ideas???

4 Replies

Paul, July 14, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Try pickles and pickle juice (drinking, not soaking). Yum!

jwsknk, July 14, 2015 at 1:33 pm

I use two water bottles, one with plain water and one with Camalbeck Exlixer of Nunz tablets. go through about 2 plain to one mix. Those don’t have the sugar like Gatorade etc. Haven’t had an issue with cramps last 3-4 years since I started doing that.

RoyBoy, July 14, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Drinking an water bottle of sugarless electrolyte mix before and another one after a long ride works best for me to prevent cramps. Your results may vary. Good luck.

Jack in VA, July 17, 2016 at 10:16 pm

I ruptured my left Achilles 3 years ago and was no weight on that leg for 10 weeks; lost about 2″ diameter on that calf muscle, and it hasn’t gained back. I ride a fixed gear bike, and whenever I’m spinning with minimum resistance or going down hill, that calf wants to cramp up on me – 3 years later. I do the pickles, cramp pills, mustard, anything I’ve heard that can (or might) help. Getting up out of the saddle helps some, and whenever I stop I try to do toe raises and calf stretches. It isn’t as bad as it was the first year or so, but still occurs every time I ride. Also deep tissue massage and roller once we get in for the day.
I’m bringing the geared bike to Iowa this year. There are a lot more rolling hills on the bottom half of the state than the last few years.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters