RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

Music suggestions

OK guys made it through the hurricane ok. Though there is a tree down in the backyard (a problem for the landlord not me). A lot of the roads are still flooded though so I’ll be using my stationary bike till the roads are safe. Since I have no scenery to look at and don’t want to just watch tv I’m looking for some good upbeat music to workout to. Any suggestions? 

15 Replies

jwsknk, August 29, 2011 at 11:52 am

until 2 CDT it’s the New Orleans Music Show, from 2-4 Blues Eclectic
http://www.wwoz.org/programs/schedule

Sandaltan ., August 29, 2011 at 4:16 pm

My 7th grade grandson favors AC/DC and has worn their hats and t-shirts for a couple of years.   Not my favorite music but might motivate an 80’s biker.

RIDE RIGHT

Zinger, August 29, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I love metal to spin to. The beat keeps me going strong! Skillet, Metallica, Seether, Shinedown, Staind – all good bands!

ST – your grandson has great taste!!

knees36, August 29, 2011 at 9:05 pm

East Coast swing music for me….great rhythm and easy on the “old bod” and mind.  Hills are a bit easier to “In the Mood” or “Tuxedo Junction.” 

rockman68, August 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I like concert videos from rockers. Anything to divert my eyes from the stopwatch.

A few of my favorites:
Journey – “Live in Manila”
Foreigner – “Can’t Slow Down” (Compilation of 2009 Europe Tour footage)
Kansas – “There’s Know Place Like Home – Live in Topeka”

If you just need a beat, the Foreigner is probably tops. Only a couple of songs that you’ll need to skip.
If you need variety, watch the Journey concert.
If you need to see a guitar freak in his natural environment, just play the Kansas songs with Steve Morse on stage.

When I get tired of any of the above, I kill the sound on the DVD and listen to Boston while watching the videos. When (if) Boston ever releases a concert video, my training library will be complete.

Numbers, August 30, 2011 at 8:03 am

Any Tina Turner, and her videos are even better. There’s one of her 60th birthday celebration concert that’s absolutely on fire. Her music gets my RPMs up and gives me inspiration!

kicks9, August 30, 2011 at 9:35 am

http://cycle.jog.fm/  I like this site because you can enter the cadence (if you know yours) and find a set to ride to.  Nice too if trying to up your cadence you can pick a song in that range and try to push yourself.

Kicks9

fleetmack, August 30, 2011 at 9:50 am

Here’s my playlist for a fast 5-mile run, the goal being for the last song to end right when i finish:

Rammstein – Zerstoren
Static-X – DestroyerStatic-X – DirthouseStone Sour – SufferRammstein – Asche zu AscheStone Sour – 30/30-150
The Bloodhound Gang – I Hope You Die
Stone Sour – Get Inside
Soil – Halo
If you don’t like thrash metal or nu metal, or German metal, I recommend you don’t listen to these songs, but they WILL pump you up!
Bonus points for Stone Sour being from Iowa

knees36, September 4, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Another look at swing music…this time via a youtube experience with some very talented Japanese teens.  To  those of you in your teens, 20’s, 30’s and 40’s this is the type of music your parents and grandparents (and me) danced to and still dance to every chance we get.  Go to the following website address if you’re interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watchpopup?v=L7N6slVrQeY&vq=medium  I hope this works for you.  Cheers.

Sandaltan ., September 5, 2011 at 8:03 am

Right Numbers, Tina Turner will get me going.  But for the cool down I will take Keely Smith…………I bet Knees remembers her.

RIDE RIGHT

RAGRider, September 5, 2011 at 8:13 am

AC/DC, Foreigner, Boston and The Band

knees36, September 5, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Sandaltan said: Right Numbers, Tina Turner will get me going.  But for the cool down I will take Keely Smith…………I bet Knees remembers her. RIDE RIGHT

Yes,  I  remember the name, Keely Smith, as well as Kate Smith, who preceded Keely by a few years.  Kate’s “signature song” was “God Bless America”, and a host of other patriotic songs during World War II.  I can’t remember what Keely might have sung.  Many of the talented artists of that era (actresses, actors and singers) supported our troops during WW II.  I was in the service at the end of the Korean era and didn’t get to see hardly any of the USO programs since  I was in the states during all of my time in the army.  But  I did get to many dances in the services clubs in New Jersey and Alabama and spent lots of weekends in New York City attending plays and live musicals that had actresses such as Gwen Verdon and others..  Quite the experience for a young small-town Iowa kid. 

knees36, September 5, 2011 at 8:01 pm

AND…I went to a “Bill Haley and the Comets” concert in Asbury Park and heard “Rock Around the Clock” for the first time!!!  Great swing tune for a jitterbug!!!  Cheers. 

RAGRider, September 6, 2011 at 7:39 am

While we’re on the subject of Asbury Park, here’s an interesting article from one of my favorite magazines:

http://www.weirdnj.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=85&Itemid=28

knees36, September 6, 2011 at 4:35 pm

RAGRider said: While we’re on the subject of Asbury Park, here’s an interesting article from one of my favorite magazines: http://www.weirdnj.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=85&Itemid=28

“Woah”…is me!!!   I was there in the mid-50’s as an 18 year-old Iowa kid/army recruit who had never before been any further east than Iowa City and was enthralled with all of the goings-on in Asbury along with the beautiful beach front and those neat Jersey girls who “taught” me…how to jitterbug to east coast swing music!!!  How depressisng the current state of Asbury Park affairs is!!!  I’m glad  I was able to be there a half-century ago.  It needs a total make-over somehow.   I last visited the area around 1976 when our family went to NJ and to New York for the World’s Fair,  Radio City Music Hall and the Empire State Building and other NY attractions, and  I wanted our kids to see where  I spent part of my military service time.  Even my old army base, Fort Monmouth, seemed to be somewhat deserted and decrepit or changed somehow by that time.  Thanks for sending the website address along…I think.  Cheers (somewhat.)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters