My favorite charter, Pork Belly Ventures!

PBV sent out their invitation email today. Of course I registered right away! With the route announcement and PBV, I’m getting excited!!! PBV does an awesome job!!!! Maybe I should start training!

http://www.pkbelly.com/about_us.php

29 Replies

VIKING, January 29, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Yes I’ve signed up with PBV again. This is my 5th year with PBV. And I still have not meet Michrider. But I know which tent is his. Unless Tammy and Pete give him a new tent assignment. See you under the big tent Mich.

Michrider !!!, January 29, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Yeah, if I get the same # as last year, I’ll be easy to find. When I saw that I was #0, I figured it was a sign from God!!!! Yes, I’ll be parked under the circus tent. How appropriate!!!

mentor58, January 29, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I’m going to go go with PBV, it’s my first RAGBRAI, and they seem to have the best reviews. I’ve had a couple of email conversations with them, seem like good folk.

tripld, January 29, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Last year was my first RAGBRAI and our team went with PBV. Could not have asked for a better way to do my first. These guys have this RAGBRAI thing nailed! The shower trucks are worth the price of admission! Every detail is accounted for, food, beer, entertainment, they do it all. If we dont go the RV route this year, we will definitely be back with PBV.

kellyfornia, January 29, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Last year was my first year doing RAGBRAI and I was TOTALLY spoiled because my cousin was our personal SAG. All I had to do was get up and ride in the morning. She packed up all our stuff, had cold ones (actually it was Mt. Dew) at the meeting towns and another when I rolled into the overnight town then had our things unpacked for us too. (We stayed in residence’s homes). BUT, this year I’m on my own so I’m looking into charters. I remember seeing all kinds of people from PBV last year. Need to do some research but can see that PBV has some happy customers.
p.s. I grew up in Iowa but am coming from CA to visit family and ride again.

Tony, January 29, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Kellyfornia please check out the following websites.
http://www.qcbc.org/ragbrai/

http://www.facebook.com/QCBCRAI

We are the largest bicycle club in Iowa. We charter for both members and non members. You will find our service among the lowest cost. We are a non profit. Proceeds go to support club rides, community events, bicycle advocacy, and safety programs for children. We provide transportation and bike shipping to the start town and back from the end town. We use luxury motor coaches to transport riders. Bikes are shipped on a semi. We will depart and return to Bettendorf Iowa. The Quad Cities International Airport is about 5 minute trip from the departure site. For people driving to Iowa we provide free long term parking in a covered lot. Contact information is at the club website.

kellyfornia, January 29, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Thanks! I will.

RonB, January 30, 2012 at 9:22 am

So Mich, are you a paid lobbyist or just an evangelist? 😉

I guess PBV is a good outfit, but you pay for what you get. There are also other good ones out there, Brancel and OOS being two that I personally have experience with. Less expensive than PBV, but less services offered as well. It all depends on what services you want/need!

One observation that I’ve heard about PBV is that they provide so much for you that they somewhat isolate you from the Ragbrai experience. I can see where that could be true, but again, I’ve not ever gone with PBV.

And remember, if all you want is your gear hauled, you get that for free with your registration.

Michrider !!!, January 30, 2012 at 9:47 am

RonB, of course your correct, about other good charters. I traveled with others, including Brancel in 2007. Bob Brancel is a great guy and their service was very good. However, as I’ve said before, PBV is my favorite! PBV has never isolated me from the RAGBRAI experience, LOL!!!!! I travel with PBV and appreciate the services they provide! I’m willing to pay for those services including the best shower service on my planet! BTW, their mid-week laundry serivce ain’t bad either!

Thoreau, January 30, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I used PBV last year and had a great time. As a San Franciscan and a first-timer, it was a good way to understand how Ragbrai works. I also brought my own tent the last time and I think I’m going to switch to the tent service–I felt a little pressure at the end of the day to get into camp and set up (hopefully in the shade).

biker1962, January 30, 2012 at 4:39 pm

From friends that used PBV they do get moved out of town on occassion due to their size.  Last year in Carroll they were 5 miles out of town and the year before they were 2 miles out in a city.  It is a hard for small towns to find space for 900 people.  From using other charters and talking with others all charters do a good job. 

rawhiderider382, January 30, 2012 at 4:51 pm

PBV does get some prime real estate reserved for their rows and rows and rows and rows… of tents.

Tony, January 30, 2012 at 6:19 pm

biker1962 said: From friends that used PBV they do get moved out of town on occassion due to their size.  Last year in Carroll they were 5 miles out of town and the year before they were 2 miles out in a city.  It is a hard for small towns to find space for 900 people.  From using other charters and talking with others all charters do a good job.

Thank you for the thumbs up on all the charters. All the charters have a massive job to coordinate their services with the towns. One of the gray areas for charters is the campsites. We are at the mercy of the camping committee. RAGBRAI needs about 70 acres for all the campers. You can get about 200 tents per acre.  Which is about 90 yards of a foot ball field. My group needs a football field end zone to end zone or about 1.32 acres. The problem with sports fields, many have underground sprinkler systems. So you can’t stake tents on them. Practice fields are generally available. Golf course are an other example of green space that is off limits. Then you throw in if the land is level enough to camp on. What type of surface it has. So you can rapidly see the challenge the campground chairman have in these towns. When I call to reserve space. They some times freak when I ask for so much space. But they always figure it out and fit us in. Sometimes the charters have to work together once on site to fit us in. But we always figure it out. The larger charters work year round to provide clients the best experience crossing Iowa. We are looking forward to have you all be happy campers on your trek across Iowa.

“Bicycle Bill”, January 31, 2012 at 1:38 am

Thoreau said: I used PBV last year and had a great time. As a San Franciscan and a first-timer, it was a good way to understand how Ragbrai works. I also brought my own tent the last time and I think I’m going to switch to the tent service–I felt a little pressure at the end of the day to get into camp and set up (hopefully in the shade).

Once the sun goes down, it’s all in the shade.

-“BB”-

Michrider !!!, January 31, 2012 at 8:18 am

In 2011, PBV had a great site for our overnight in Carroll.  We were in a park, on the edge of a lake, with lots of shade!  There was a bike path from our camp spot into town.  Carroll had excellent airconditioned shuttles to downtown and back! It was a great overnight!!!!!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015