My pitch for East to West route

This is part of my post on another thread. I hope we go to Guttenberg since, realistically, I don’t think we’ll ever see Lansing again as an end town.

I still would like to go all the way to Lansing but I hold little hope of that ever happening. And that’s ashamed – the end town always gets, it seems to me, less of an economic benefit than the start town does (which – I think – is the best reason for alternating West to East and the next year East to West).

People could take their time getting into a small, start town on the Mississippi. Some enterprising charter services could make some money running shuttles from the airports in Chicago, Milwaukee, Davenport, etc. Still, I think the DMR will not go to Lansing as it is tiny. But they should consider STARTING in Guttenberg and going WEST.

65 Replies

knees36, October 15, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Iceman, if your sweetie can let go of you for two consecutive weeks you might want to consider coming to Iowa a week earlier than usual and using that week to bike from the ending town to the starting town “east to west” and following the RAG route backwards to get a first hand experience of that direction. Living in north central Iowa I’ve biked to the starting town from “Dodge” quite a few times and have enjoyed it each time. (probably not statically significant, however). Started on the road alone but after a day or two usually joined up with others or at least saw them on the road heading for the same destination. It’s also fun to see the pass-through and overnight towns getting ready for us. The last day of riding was usually Friday and had Saturday to rest and relax and watch the folks roll into town for RAGBRAI and experience the “mounting” excitement. It’s been well worth the effort and you could get a better idea of the “east to west” theory. Cheers.

Sandaltan ., October 16, 2013 at 2:01 pm

A couple years ago we met a group out of Jacksonville, Florida that starts in the end town the week before RAGBRAI begins and rides to the start town and then rides back to their vehicles with the ride. Riding out to RAGBRAI can be a really good time as Knees has said.

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, October 16, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I ride to the start from the ending town. However, my ride in on the PBV bus on Saturday!!!

Iceman, October 16, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Knees – That’s one hell of a good idea!

knees36, October 21, 2013 at 12:22 am

Snow is predicted for Iowa this coming Tuesday morning. My, but “RAGBRAI’s time” seems to be getting further away rather than closer. Oh well, have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone. By that time the “folks that matter” at the DMR will probably know the overnight towns. We’ll find out a couple of months later. Cheers.

Viewing 5 replies - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLI – 2013’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015