My RAGBRAI@Home ended prematurely

I took the week off as happened in past years. Get up about 6 am, eat breakfast, fill my water bottles, check tire pressure, and start to ride by shortly after 7 am. It has been a very hot week so daily ride finishes before noon as possible. Then take shower, have protein shake, order takeout lunch, drink a beer or two, have a nap, watch Netflix, prime video, YouTube.

Unfortunately, the week-long ride ended abruptly yesterday. It was raining in the morning so I decided to join my well social-distanced retired friends to play volleyball, the first time in over four months. Then in the first hour, my gastrocnemius on right leg was torn. I didn’t realize it has been weakened so much that it can’t hold the jumps and sudden turns because the lackness of exercise on those muscle groups even though I have put on most miles on cycling.

Now, I have to give up my last two days of my RAGBRAI@HOME. Sad and start to think what I can do for next one month or two. My last severely torn ACL on the same leg a couple years ago forced me out for 5 months.

6 Replies

Amanda, July 28, 2020 at 9:32 am

That is too bad! Hope you recover quickly.

T. Gap Woo, July 28, 2020 at 3:00 pm

Any injury that impairs your ability to ride, whether long-term or short-term, must be taken seriously, as Princess Amanda can surely attest. Follow your doctor’s advice and start rehabbing as soon as the doc allows.

Before long, you’ll be “Back in the Saddle Again!” And that ain’t no joke. 🤪 (rim shot, with apologies to the late, great Gene Autry).

See you along the I-O-Way in 2021.

Jboz, July 28, 2020 at 6:32 pm

Hope you bounce back fast. For me it was basketball about 15 years ago. That’s about when cycling kicked in for me…the perfect sport for my old bones.

Sandaltan ., July 28, 2020 at 8:27 pm

Gene Autry, TGW, was the best there ever was. Gene Autry is the only person to be awarded stars in the five fields recognized on the Hollywood Walk of Fame: film, TV, radio, live performance and music. Bob Hope and Tony Martin are next with four stars each.

RIDE RIGHT

Niles, July 28, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Cycling is good for cardiovascular and thigh but not much exercise on other parts. Volleyball is on short burst of energy on jump, move and spike. I having trying actively on both to compensate on each other. I’m hoping maintain my jumping capability longer enough to count on the big tall boys going downhill faster so that one day I can compete against them on senior Olympic. So far I only lost 6 inches of jump from my young time but injuries like this doesn’t help 🙁

But in short turn, I still hope I can finish my first century of the year on August 8th. It will be also my first organized ride this year. Riding won’t use much on my injured part so I hope I can still be able to participate. There are 10 days to hold my hope.

gif4445, August 6, 2020 at 10:27 pm

Sorry about the injury. I’m on my second rehab this year. Had cervical fusion in March. Back on the bike for less than one month when a guy went down in front of me. Hit him and sailed. Broken clavicle and separated shoulder. On the bright side, if there was ever a year to spend extended time on Hydrocodone, it would be 2020.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015