RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

Need new Wheel set

CRAP! I just found out I need to replace my Mavic Kysirum Elite’s. I don’t want to fork out the $1000+. Does Anyone have any thoughts on Fulcrum Racing 5CX, SRAM S27 or the Shimano R530?

19 Replies

Paul, April 11, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I would go with the ZIPP 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher in the front and the ZIPP 900 Disc Clincher in the rear, pretty much standard equipment for RAGBRAI :-D

Csprint, April 11, 2012 at 11:06 pm

The Fulcrums certainly always have nice bearings as they are built by Campagnolo to fit other shifting systems. The Shimanos tend to be a bit heavy. I’ve no experience with the SRAM.

If on a tighter budget look at Neuvation wheels, he’s had a bunch on sale lately.

Corey

Iceman, April 12, 2012 at 8:37 am

I just had a set of wheels built. Stans Alpha 340 rims (fairly light) and Campy Record hubs. The Stans rims will run either regular clincher (with tubes)tires or tubeless clincher tires (Hutchinson Fusion 3 tires). Cost me about $600 having Colorado Cyclist build them. It’s a no lose situation trying the tubeless clinchers – smoother ride at lower pressure, no pinch flats since no tubes, less rolling resistance than tubed tires. What’s not to like?

“Bicycle Bill”, April 12, 2012 at 10:12 am

Paul
:
I would go with the ZIPP 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher in the front and the ZIPP 900 Disc Clincher in the rear, pretty much standard equipment for RAGBRAI:-D
(end sarcasm)

Fixed it for ya, Paul.

-“BB”-

Tony, April 12, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I would stay away from the Shimano 500 series wheelset I’ve had two sets get spider crack at the nipples. Mavic Open Pro or Aksium would be an excellent replacement. Easton EA30 or EA50 are good wheelsets too. Checkout Pro Wheel builder in Vegas. http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/ He spun me up a custom set of Velocity Deep-V’s 4 years ago. I have over 5,000 miles and 3 RAGBRAI’s on them. They are still true and never had to service them. With shipping it was under $400 for the set. In any case. Due to varying road conditions. I would forgo low spoke count wheelsets. A rock solid 3 cross 32 spoke wheel will be trouble free on RAGBRAI. Remember its a sports tour ride not a road race. We don’t have a sag wagon loaded with 50 wheels following us. Which begs the question. Why they need a sag wagon with so many wheels in the first place. The answer is they trade performance for durability. The same goes for tires. Match the equipment to the ride.

RonB, April 12, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Csprint: If on a tighter budget look at Neuvation wheels, he’s had a bunch on sale lately. Corey

While not your question, I’d second checking out Neuvation. Lot of bang for the buck for lower priced wheels.

giantron, April 12, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Tony; Last RAG I blew out a wheel set and replaced them with the Mavic Aksium. I didn’t have a whole lot of choice since the shops had limited selection and I NEEDED a new set after major cracks developed in mine.
Anywho, they’re not very expensive ( I think they cost me $300 )
Glad you recommend them, since I didn’t really have a choice at the time.
But anyone else have experience with these?

Michrider !!!, April 12, 2012 at 5:02 pm

giantron:
Tony; Last RAG I blew out a wheel set and replaced them with the Mavic Aksium. I didn’t have a whole lot of choice since the shops had limited selection and I NEEDED a new set after major cracks developed in mine.
Anywho, they’re not very expensive ( I think they cost me $300 )
Glad you recommend them, since I didn’t really have a choice at the time.
But anyone else have experience with these?

I destroyed a rear wheel in 2008. I bought a set from a bike shop in Ames for $150. Like you said, I had no choice!!!!

Proteus Dan, April 12, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I ride mid 70’s Campagnolo high flange record hubs on Sun 36 hole rims 700c x 28 with no problems.

jeffreydennis, April 12, 2012 at 8:01 pm

check out Williams Cycling, the 30’s are solid and fairly priced. I use the 58 carbons.

knees36, April 12, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I’ve used 40 spoke Wolber rims with Phil Wood hubs on my “older” chromoly Borthwick touring bike built in 1991 with no problems at all, no broken spokes and just a “touch-up truing” at the beginning of each cycling season. I have replaced all of the sealed bearings (except in the headset) over the years, though. The bike is still super comfy and very trustworthy, albeit a tinge heavy at about 26 pounds with racks, still just right for these old bones. Cheers. 8)

Sandaltan ., April 12, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Phil Wood hubs are indeed a marvel Knees. I have one on the front of my tandem. And that Borthwick frame will be around for another 20 years.

RIDE RIGHT

knees36, April 12, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Sandaltan:
Phil Wood hubs are indeed a marvel Knees.I have one on the front of my tandem.And that Borthwick frame will be around for another 20 years.

RIDE RIGHT

Thanks, ST. Yep, that Borthwick will probably still be rolling along well after my old “wheels” have lost their “bearings.” Maybe one of the grandkids will get it. The youngest grandson (soon to be 13) loves cycling so he might be the lucky one. Cheers.

:wink:

Den, April 13, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Look at Peter White’s web site if you can afford the time to have a wheel built. Lots of choices. Lots of price points. Otherwise if buying off the rack I think you can’t beat Mavic. Seems like the French invented the wheel didn’t they? Just pick your price. If you could wait until fall you can always find a deal. I bought a pair of Kysrium SL Premiums for $700 a couple of years ago. They had been running $1295 or more at the LBS all year. Best deal I ever got. I also like Paul’s advice. I’d go for an all white disc on the back with crabon blades on the front.

Paul, April 13, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Den,

I also have the Kysriums and they work well for me, you were lucky to get a good deal.

In terms of the disc wheels….

I was thinking of the rear disc to have the Ragbrai logo however I changed my mind because of the extra weight of the paint, I’d just go with the natural carbon disc, forget the white paint. It should make a big difference. Also, I heard that there will not be any crosswinds this year, only tailwinds, so the disc makes perfect sense for this year’s ride.

Paul

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters