Registration is open for RAGBRAI L!

Never had to use the bike repair places, but if I did…..

Of course at the expo, overnight towns and on the route itself, I see the pop-up bike repair places. I’ve never had to stop at one, but assuming I needed a small adjustment or a minor fix taken care of, is there a charge for a registered RAGBRAI rider?

6 Replies

Amanda, June 8, 2022 at 9:18 am

Yes, they charge. They have always been quite reasonable too. The lines can be long so be patient.

francoisvanzyl, June 10, 2022 at 1:20 pm

I have had to use the bike shop just after the gravel leg in 2019 when it rained and my bike was a muddy mess. I don’t know what or even if that guy charged but I paid him handsomely. He did monster business cleaning cassettes, chains and whatever else because of all the mud that day.

Phil Stearney, June 10, 2022 at 1:56 pm

Tagging on. Yes – they charge but I agree with Amanda – always very reasonable in my experience also. And very knowledgeable, efficient, and somehow have all of the parts that you could possibly need. But the lines are long. Especially at the ones right at the beginning of towns…So if you are not in “emergency mode”, use the ones that are between the towns or in the middle of or later in the towns…

direwolf, June 10, 2022 at 10:54 pm

I have never heard a complaint about bike repair service on RAGBRAI. If the lines are too long and you need a derailleur adjustment or brake adjustment or need your chain put back together, find a bagger. Most of us haul tools and know how. Recumbo Folk: Don’t expect RAG repair shops to stock 20″ tubes, tires, or spokes. Haul spares.

T. Gap Woo, June 11, 2022 at 7:33 pm

Midweek during Ragbrai in 2017, I had the misfortune of being bumped by a youngster who couldn’t hold his line along the edge of the road. I thought I had given him a wide enough berth (3 feet) as I passed on the left. Fortunately, we didn’t crash to the ground and no one was hurt.

I thought everything was fine mechanically, until I noticed that every time I shifted into a lower gear, the chain slipped off the rear cassette. I knew it wasn’t due to cross-chaining, and everything looked ok visually, but the chain kept jumping off. At the next pass-through town, I stopped at a repair station. After describing the problem, the tech pulled out his gauges, diagnosed the problem — a slightly bent derailleur that could not be detected visually but only with the gauge — and fixed the problem.

Yes, they do charge for repairs. For me, it was a can of cold beer.

See you along the I-O-Way next month!

ak2outside, June 13, 2022 at 1:40 pm

I needed my pedal broke loose to transport it and it was so tightly screwed on there was no way I was getting it off. The bike mechanic laughed, grabbed a wrench, and it didn’t budge. Grabbed a bigger wrench and gave it a go again. Still nothing. Went into the van, grabbed a longer wrench and an extender bar and pulled like he was spinning the wheel on Wheel of Fortune. It released. He apologized for doubting me. Charged me $5.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI