The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Newbie Question

Looking forward this year to our group’s first RAGBRAI , thanks for any answers/tips you may provide

– After you have picked up your gear/bag (from the Register’s truck) how far do you have to walk/ride to set up your tent? – any recommendations re: bags, tents ?(there will be 3 riders in our group)
– after the ride, if one wants to explore the host town, do you then ride your bikes or are there any public transportation available? if so, do you then lock your bikes and leave them in the tent?
– We’ll most likely arrive on Saturday – do you recommend reserving a motel room (if there are any available) or can you set up tents the night before ?

Thanks again, hope to you be riding with you in July

Ray

4 Replies

jelly0317, January 13, 2019 at 8:30 pm

1. Distance from the truck depends on how close you like to camp to others. If you don’t mind being surrounded by tents, you can camp within 50 feet of the truck.
2. Shuttles are available, or you can ride your bike. Theft is infrequent, but I would recommend locking your bike overnight or if you’re away from your bike at night.
3. Saturday motel(s) will be booked up within minutes of the route announcement (unless we start in Sioux City or Council Bluffs). The campground, near the truck, is available.
Have fun and be safe!

sdickes, January 13, 2019 at 8:43 pm

1. Typically we’ll go 100-200 feet from the truck to camp. They start getting everything set up early so if you want to sleep in a little longer it’d be best to go just a ways farther. Also avoid being right next to the KYBOs as people tend to slam the doors all night long.
2. All the towns will typically have a shuttle, some are free and some charge. I like riding my bike through the overnight towns because it’s faster and a good way to loosen the legs up from the day’s mileage. I’ve never locked my bike and have always felt safe that way, granted it’s no $10,000 bike but still. You hear the occasional story so better safe than sorry if you’re concerned.
3. Camping is always available a few days before the start so you’ll be good to go there.
Enjoy your training!

Ray Peregrino, January 15, 2019 at 12:41 pm

Thank you for your replies,, see you in July

Sandaltan ., January 15, 2019 at 2:35 pm

Ear plugs and eye shades are quite useful…so is a pinch light or small flashlight.

RIDE RIGHT

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014