RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Newbie question = what type of sleeping pad?

What’s the best sleeping pad to pack:

Sleep on the ground
self inflating pad
air matress
comfy cot
aerobed

29 Replies

petra, March 2, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I have used the same mattress Tony showed. I concur on ease of use and comfort. If you want to save batteries, just pull the plug when you get up and the mattress will deflate quickly. Then you can use the pump to pull out the remaining air. Also remember that if you fill the mattress in the afternoon you will need to top it off after dark since the mattress will get softer in the “cooler” air.

stevev, March 10, 2012 at 4:08 am

http://www.rei.com/product/780369/exped-synmat-9-deluxe-air-pad-with-pump

Here you go. Exped synmat 9. 3.5 inches thick and rolls up to a size smaller than a 2 ltr. pop bottle. I will be buying this pad for myself soon.

Sandaltan ., March 10, 2012 at 5:17 pm

stevev:
http://www.rei.com/product/780369/exped-synmat-9-deluxe-air-pad-with-pump

Here you go. Exped synmat 9. 3.5 inches thick and rolls up to a size smaller than a 2 ltr. pop bottle. I will be buying this pad for myself soon.

Looks compfy Stevev, let us know after the ride if it was worth the money.

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, March 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Sandaltan: Looks compfy Stevev, let us know after the ride if it was worth the money.

RIDE RIGHT

Yeah, it did look kinds pricey!!! Hope you like it!!!!

jsm, March 10, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Just got the REI 3.5 self inflating sleep pads from the outlet store. They need time to self inflate the first time, overnight. Once they inflate the first time they come back after an hour or so. Rolling them up was not a problem. Slept on them Friday night on the basement concrete floor. I sleept fine until I rolled off, but went right back to sleep. Did not feel the floor at all and did not have to add any air. These bags have the plastic valves, so that is one thing to be careful about.
A good nights sleep is key to any good day.

cubbies1945, March 11, 2012 at 1:18 am

I love a good air matress. Like a lot of people, I have been forced to use both. But what works for me is to pack a sleeping bag and a thick flece blanket. I fold the blanket long ways (like a hotdog) and then lay the blanket on top of the sleeping bag. It makes a nice mattress on hot days when I don’t want a blanket. When I do want to snuggle under the covers, or it is cold out I simply unfold the blanket and sleep in the sleeping bag. Of course that is a little less comfortable, but I seem to manage. You only have to put up with it for one week :-) Of course, I hate it in my single person tent when it rains and the sleeping bag gets up against the fabric, so water seeps into the sleeping bag. Uhhh I hate that! Before you know it, I have a watery mess on the floor!

Michrider !!!, March 11, 2012 at 6:42 am

Cubbie said, , “:I fold the blanket long ways (like a hotdog)”. How do you fold a hotdog, LOL?????

cubbies1945, March 11, 2012 at 10:20 am

Michrider:
Cubbie said, , “:I fold the blanket long ways (like a hotdog)”.How do you fold a hotdog, LOL?????

Lol

Sandaltan ., March 11, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Do they have hotdogs in Rabbit Hash Kentucky???
Can you just squirt them with a hose to cool them off?

Ride Right

Michrider !!!, March 11, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Sandaltan:
Do they have hotdogs in Rabbit Hash Kentucky???
Can you just squirt them with a hose to cool them off?

Ride Right

I’ll have a hot dog with an Ale 8 One and a Moon Pie for dessert!!!!!!!

Davy Sprocket, March 11, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I have to say that I prefer a queen sized regular mattress and box springs with a beautiful blond in it. Of course, I ride in an RV and I am married to a beautiful blond. Thank you lord.

Michrider !!!, March 11, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Davy Sprocket:
I have to say that I prefer a queen sized regular mattress and box springs with a beautiful blond in it.Of course, I ride in an RV and I am married to a beautiful blond.Thank you lord.

Hard to argue with logic like that!!!

kgbean, March 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm

+1 on the REI self inflating pads – as thick as you can fit in your bag. Don’t leave them in the direct sun though. Mine developed teeny tiny holes all over it, and would drain overnight. Luckily, grass likes the same dirt as corn, so Iowa has plenty of nice soft lawn to set up on. PS – REI changed out the pad for me.
Oh yeah – bring a battery powered fan for your tent, and an extra set of batteries. It gets really hot at night. Tape the switch OFF when you stick it in your bag so it doesn’t accidentally come on and run your battery dead. <<= winner.

Viewing 13 replies - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI