RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Newbie ?'s

First year for Ragbrai and I have some questions. I’m going to use Ragbrai’s truck service. On day one, how will I know where the truck is? Will that be in the packet I get in June? Should I lock my bike up every time I step away from it or just at night? I’m getting ready to buy a new bike (i’ve been riding my mountain bike) and I am wondering if I should go with skinny highway tires or the wider ones? Is there much of a difference? A big thank you to anyone with answers, advice or hell just a welcome. Looking forward to meeting new people and having fun.

11 Replies

Bartaped, March 27, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Bing, If you are buying a new bike i would get a road bike. Will be much easier doing Ragbrai on it. People do Ragbrai on Mtn. Bikes, but swap the tires for “Slicks” for less rolling resistance. I have never used the Rag baggage truck, but there is a info booth at the start and they will give you directions to the main area. Hope this helps,you are in for the time of your life. Just remember it is not a race but a ride across the great state of Iowa. Take time to enjoy the sites and the people of Iowa. Welcome!

jwsknk, March 27, 2012 at 1:35 pm

once the towns get it all figuted out, maps will be published that show the campground locations, where the register trucks will be, the bike shop locations and shuttle routes. Some towns come around the night before handing out papers for the next overnight. Don’t go with super skinny tires or fat knoby MTB ones. I usually run around 100psi. get too ow and get snake bites, too high and well, that road & sun can get hot, might be part of the reason why a parked bikes tire will suddenly explode.

Michrider !!!, March 27, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Bing, welcome to RAGBRAI and this Forum!!!! I ride 700 X 28’s on my road bike, 100 lbs in front and 110 lbs in back. Iowa roads have imperfections that can swallow skinny tires! Meet me on an Iowa Kurb and we’ll drink a beverage!!!!

Sandaltan ., March 27, 2012 at 3:13 pm

By the end of June the RAGBRAI Committees will have things sorted out and the important decisions finalized. So….from time to time go up to the top where it reads “Routes and Maps” and click “Host Communities”. Each overnight community will post their maps and info when available. Some communities even post the location and menu for the various dinners to be served.

28mm tires here also, they ride soft and are durable.

RIDE RIGHT

Sandaltan ., March 27, 2012 at 3:16 pm

We lock our bikes at night but never during the day.

RIDE RIGHT

longrider42, March 27, 2012 at 4:49 pm

As a recumbent bike rider, who will be carrying his own gear, I use a 20×1.5 tire in front and a 26c1.5, in back, aired to about 90psi. This gives me a good ride and I use thorn resistant inner tubes, so my chance of getting a flat are low at best. But yes, in Iowa, on a hot sunny day, lower th epreasure in your tires for sure. This will be my first Ragbrai too, but not my first time in a large organized bike tour, or my first time riding in Iowa.

Michael Knapp, March 27, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I did my first 10 RAGBRAI’s or so on a road bike. Back injury forced me to a hybred. You lose a little with bigger tires, but there still much smaller then a mountain bike. Just get your new bike soon enough to get used to it before RAGBRAI, so you work out any kinks and your butt and saddle become matched up. This will be my 30th year on RAGBRAI. Have never locked my bike during the day on the ride and have never experienced any problems. Nor have the members of our team (Team Flamingo). Just lock it up at night or once your in the overnight campground when you head off to town festivities. Look for Team Flamingo and say hi! Hope you have a great time. We always do.

longrider42, March 27, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Hey Bigbird, if you have back problems, you might think about a recumbent bike, they come in several sized, long medium and short length, two and three wheels. Its like pedalling a lawn chair.

Bing, March 28, 2012 at 6:50 am

Good answers and advice all around. Michrider i’ll see you on the curb, BigBird if I see Team Flamingo i’ll definately come up and say hi. Thanks everybody for sharing your experience.

Michael Knapp, March 28, 2012 at 7:11 am

Don’t forget to stop at Beekman’s Home made Ice Cream. They’ll be about 3/4’s of the way on the route each day. You won’t be sorry you stopped.

Bing, March 28, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Home made ice cream! Ohh Yeaahh!

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI