Night life @ RAGBRAI

Hello. This will be my first time for RAGBRAI and riding solo. Curious what to expect after the ride is over for the day? What is typical evening like?

8 Replies

Jose Medina, February 2, 2020 at 8:51 pm

Oh boy! Are you single ? Party all night downtown. I know riders that do not go to sleep and start riding in the morning .They get to the overnight town and go to sleep. They wake up around 10:00pm and party all night long and repeat. Overnight towns will contract big name entertainment . I am not into the party scene but I met my wife 21 years ago on Ragbrai. Great event if you are looking for a mate. I was not even looking. See my previous posts.

Scott Barber, February 2, 2020 at 9:26 pm

Thanks Jose! Sounds fun for sure! Can’t wait to see who I can meet out there

Jose Medina, February 2, 2020 at 10:09 pm

Scott , I have heard rumors about why the Ragbrai logo this year is showing a rider with his / her guitar on their back and and the motto is “on the road again ‘ I heard the new crew is stepping up their game . I have gone to meetings. There was an estimate of 38,000 riders from Winterset to Indianola last year. We are expecting big time entertainment leading to Ragbrai 50. I have done 30 in a row. We welcome you to Iowa.

Scott Barber, February 2, 2020 at 10:15 pm

Really sounds amazing. Thanks again Jose for the info. Can’t wait!

garywilk, February 3, 2020 at 8:37 am

Something for everyone. My dad, now just turned 75 drives the motorhome for my brother, nephew, and me. Everyone has fun. We normally get back and clean-up a bit and rest. then find a local place to eat. Every church usually has some type of dinner or local eateries are awesome. You also have venders that follow so food is never an issue. Then the bands are normally great and later on the bars have their parking lots as extended areas with a late night band.

KenH, February 3, 2020 at 2:45 pm

Jose I do not know what rumors you have heard. But I do know the logo this year has nothing to do with DD. It was accidentally posted and then pulled down again some weeks before he came on board, almost immediately after TJ announced his departure. So DD’s plans for this year were not used to guide the design of the logo but I suppose it is possible that the reverse has happened. DD may have taken some cues from the logo as he put his plan together!

Jose Medina, February 3, 2020 at 3:02 pm

I have had the opportunity to meet and talk to Dieter a few times and it sounds like he has Big plans and surprises in store for Ragbrai. He would not elaborate ,just like when I was trying to trip him up on spilling some of the overnight towns. He said ” nice try “. I see big and different surprises coming.They may not all come this year. He and his family are the perfect fit for the job.

This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Jose Medina.

bmyoungberg, February 3, 2020 at 4:55 pm

I ride solo which is great as I do not have to worry about anyone but me. Do what I want. Meet new friends all the time. I do the free truck which is great. Campsite is quiet by 10. Usually get there mid afternoon, put tent up and find showers. Then can go downtown (I walk or shuttle) around 6 for most evenings. Sometimes just eat at the school where the main camp is if tired or just not interested. Some party downtown, but most do not go that crazy. RAGBRAI is more tame than I ever expected. You will figure it out and be flexible and mix it up to.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015