RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

No complaining on RAGBRAI

Do you suppose there’s a lot of negativity due to the heat or was it really that bad. This was my second year and although it was much more of a challange this year it was still better than being at work.

21 Replies

Sandaltan ., August 2, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Human nature to complain.  I don’t recall anyone saying they will never come back because of……..headwinds, heat, hills, crowds, bad food, no banana creme pie, etc.  Maybe I missed a one-and-done but can’t remember seeing that kind of post.

RIDE RIGHT

jwsknk, August 2, 2011 at 3:23 pm

The sag wagon driver I talked to who has done it for 20 (?) years said by the end of the week there was so much more whining than usual, he contributed that to 2 hot, hilly, humid days to start and the heat, humidity, and some headwind all the rest of the week. We had 1 rider leave after the 4th day that had done 25 full weeks, too much heat & humidity for him and he felt like he wasn’t even cooling down at night.

Frisky77, August 2, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Yeah….heat and humidity cause a lot of it I think.  Tough sleeping outside for some folks as well.  Sleepy = cranky.  I know I’m slightly less fun to be around in tough conditions.

ehlent, August 2, 2011 at 8:19 pm

It had to be the heat and humidity.   The hills were not bad at all. 

Sandaltan ., August 2, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I suspect the heat at night and not being able to sleep was the last straw for many riders who took an early exit.

RIDE RIGHT

SSC1, August 2, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Oh cmon everyone!  What’s a little heat mean anyway?  108 heat index with a 65 mile ride and only 2.5 hours sleep?  Bunch of sissies…..

Just kidding.

The lack of sleep combined with the heat/humidity made me a bit crazy – but it was my first Ragbrai – so I weathered the storm thinking this is the way ALL Ragbrai’s are.

Now you all went and said it was worse this year.  Sheesh.

rockman68, August 2, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I’m absolutely addicted to heat. I enjoyed it. The only bad weather I experienced was due to the air conditioning on the charter bus riding from D’port to Glenwood. It was freezing in there. I was prepared. I carried my rain jacket for insulation. There were plenty of folks on the bus who were shivering because their rainsuits were riding under the bus in the cargo area.

I will admit that the afternoon in Altoona was warm. I tried to take a nap in my tent (in full sun) at about 4:00 pm, and it was like a sauna. I wasn’t really bothered by the sauna experience, (people pay big money for that experience) but I was seriously worried about further dehydrating and bonking the next day.
I moved my nap outside of the tent and napped comfortably. I slept with no rain fly on the tent that night. Yeah… that was warm.

There were a couple of nights when I woke up inside of my 20°F-rated mummy bag. Later in the week, I just slept in the fleece bag liner and woke up chilly. Living in NC without A/C is good training for RAGBRAI camping.

KittySlayer, August 3, 2011 at 8:16 am

rockman68 said: I moved my nap outside of the tent and napped comfortably. I slept with no rain fly on the tent that night..

I chose to sleep outside all week and even then was hot a few times when I laid down to sleep.

kicks9, August 3, 2011 at 8:49 am

I enjoyed the ride this year, and that is saying something because last year I rode with more people I knew that ride the same speed as me.  So I rode most of the route alone this year and still had fun on route.  Yes people were bitchy because they could not cool off but thats normal.  I was annoyed at the people not riding right, but I am not in charge of the training or education of ride right.  I ate good, wasnt at work for a week, barely had phone reception (I mark that as a good thing).  I had a fun week and plan on doing it again, maybe with more people I know that ride my speed like last year. 

Kicks9

giantron, August 3, 2011 at 9:24 am

Yeah Kicks I know what you mean. This year we all were able to ride as a group since we all rode at similar speeds. I was probably the slowest at the end of the day in the hills, but otherwise we were able to ride together all day. It was a great group this year.

CyclingCyclone, August 3, 2011 at 11:19 am

Yes it was hot, possibly a little too hot for comfort.  But the only time I thought it was bad was at night in my tent when there was no wind to move the air. Other than that, it was a lot better than sitting at my desk at work. 

pmac, August 3, 2011 at 11:54 am

since this was my one and only ragbrai, I have nothing to compare it to.  I thought the hills were very rmanageable all week.  The heat and humidity were not too bad until about 11:00 a.m.  Traveling alone gave me alot of flexibility.  After getting into camp and showering, I found someplace that had some ac to cool down for a couple of hours which helped alot.  For sleeping A tent fan made a huge difference.  I’m not sure I would have got much sleep without one..    

Brek81, August 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm

It was defiantly a more challenging week.  I have been fighting athsma/allergies all year, i endo’d in Altoona, and broke my saddle in IC.   That’s not complaining, it happened, and i still had one of the best trips of my life!! Cant wait to do it next year!

jwsknk, August 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I think I heard the NWS say it was the hottest July for DM (or Iowa) since 1956.

Michrider !!!, August 4, 2011 at 3:15 pm

pmac said: since this was my one and only ragbrai, I have nothing to compare it to.  I thought the hills were very rmanageable all week.  The heat and humidity were not too bad until about 11:00 a.m.  Traveling alone gave me alot of flexibility.  After getting into camp and showering, I found someplace that had some ac to cool down for a couple of hours which helped alot.  For sleeping A tent fan made a huge difference.  I’m not sure I would have got much sleep without one..    

I almost got used to marinating in my own sweat in my tent at night! That was with a big A$$ tent fan!!!! Can’t imagine trying to sleep without one this year!!!!!! No, I’m not B.itching!!!!!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters