Registration is open for RAGBRAI L!

No Food Between Towns on Day 1

Just a heads up, my understanding is that Woodbury County has an “Agricultural Preservation Zoning District” that prohibits any type of food or alcohol sales outside of city limits. As a result, there will be no food between any of the towns on Day 1, this includes any sales of water.

Day 1 includes some quite HILLY and LONG stretches such as 20 miles from Bronson to Anthon and 18 miles from Anthon to Battle Creek.

Hopefully some nice residents will offer free water.

However, I would plan on extra sustenance and extra water for Day 1.

This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Kevin Keegan.

22 Replies

Matthew Lewis, July 17, 2022 at 8:29 pm

This reminds me that I need to add this song to the Sunday Bluetooth speaker playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EluzaTTLDwg

Flippinsweetdude, July 17, 2022 at 8:48 pm

There are 3 stopping towns on the 53 mile day. Bronson, Anthon and Battle Creek. So that is a chance for water and food/fuel every 13-ish miles. That should be plenty, even for a rider with only one water bottle and a small jersey pocket.

HelenP, July 17, 2022 at 9:29 pm

And what would that rider with only barely enough supplies do when stranded, by a broken chain or whatever, for hours in 100 degree heat with no trees nearby?

Flippinsweetdude, July 17, 2022 at 10:02 pm

If someone has “barley enough” supplies, and can’t figure out some simple problem for a 13 mile ride, they should seriously reconsider a 460+ mile ride. Riding 50 mile with just a stop or two is not unreasonable at all. This complaining about things and the strawman/slipperly slope complaining is silly. The lack of trees…. I mean come on, that is Eeyore level complaining…..

garywilk, July 18, 2022 at 7:29 am

Iowa craft beer tent has there tentative locations for day one. If there is a law, they may have an exemption or permit for that day.

Mark Robb, July 18, 2022 at 7:44 am

Iowa Craft Beer was turned down for their Day 1 Locations, They will not have a spot til day 2.

Rob Fuller, July 18, 2022 at 7:57 am

If stranded, go wheels up, thumb out. You’re gonna hafta SAG.

bugs11, July 18, 2022 at 9:22 am

Adapt, improvise, overcome…

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Calvin Coolidge

Chris Faiferlick, July 18, 2022 at 9:50 am

Thank you for the warning. I thought Iowa was trying to “Eliminate unnecessary and burdensome environmental and ag regulations (SF2176/HF2343/SF2232/SF2245)”. See, https://governor.iowa.gov/press-release/gov-reynolds-releases-statement-on-2022-legislative-session%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0.

I was looking forward to a pork chop on the side of the road between towns. That has always been on a Sunday morning Ragbrai tradition.

Maybe the Ragbrai people in the future should avoid counties that can’t be flexible and provide an exception for Ragbrai event.

Kevin Keegan, July 18, 2022 at 10:27 am

“20 miles from Bronson to Anthon and 18 miles from Anthon to Battle Creek.”

HelenP, July 18, 2022 at 11:12 am

Flippinsweetdude, assuming that everything during a 460+ mile ride will go perfectly, or that heat stroke or heat exhaustion could be avoided simply by wishing, is what is unreasonable. Kevin has the right idea (thanks for the heads up, K!).

dsdouin, July 18, 2022 at 1:54 pm

There will be residents with water along the road. For those who are concerned pack more provisions and a big ole camelback water pouch with plenty of ice to start in it. HelenP if you put your name on your bike an I see you Ill give you some of my water free. Take more time at the 3 towns. FSdude I tend to agree that Iowa in late July has seen many hot days so if you are a newbie or more concerned than most, sit out the first day, don’t ride the full distance or just be ready for it at a slower pace. PTL we shall overcome!!

LawnchairMan, July 18, 2022 at 2:33 pm

I go early to beat the congestion of cyclists, but another benefit is that it is cooler. So if anyone is worried about breaking down in 100° temps, go early. The forecast, though, says the high for Sergeant Bluff on the 24th is only 89°
I will start Sunday with about 35 ounces of water. That’s half my capacity so I will be lighter to climb the hills. I will refill in Anthon with enough to get me to Ida Grove.
If I do break down this is what I would do:
Turn my bike upside down.
Usually other riders will ask if I need help.
If I’m out of water I will ask if they have extra.
If I flat and am out of CO2 I will ask for somebody’s spare. (I’ve shared mine)
There are several other “small” problems that others can help. The Air Force is great for that.
I could also hike to the nearest farm house. Most Iowans are eager to help.
If it is a bigger problem I would just wait for sag. The big thing is: I know I’m not alone.

Oh, this is something I have to re-learn over and over: I can save water by closing my mouth and breathing through my nose. This is tough to do when struggling up a steep hill, but as soon as I reach the crest I try to close my mouth. Remembering is hard for me.

PS. I also bring a trail bar and an energy gel. That is usually enough to get me 50 miles or more. It would help at a break down too.

This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by LawnchairMan.

Uncle Kraig, July 18, 2022 at 2:49 pm

I’m about 99.9% certain I read there will be multiple stops between towns on day one. Of particular interest was one announced at a place called Highpoint with all kinds of food, drink, games, activities, photo ops, farm yard animals, lemonade stands, etc, etc I have seen multiple other vendors announce their locations as well. The BIG difference though is that all will be free will donation and none will have alcohol due to the above referenced ordinance or zoning or whatever. But, the point is dont worry, you will have plenty of places to stop for water, food, rest, activities, etc, Just a few fewer places for alcohol. Hope that puts a few people at a bit more ease.

Flippinsweetdude, July 18, 2022 at 6:22 pm

More strawman fallacies HelenP. Nobody said things need to go perfectly, just that if you can’t handle a simple problem, one should reconsider. Your comments are logical fallacies.

Fact is that everyone will need to be prepared for long stretches, need to be able to self support, and even if a county does not allow vendors between towns, you need to be able to still move forward. Your post about lack of supplies, broken chains, lack of trees, heat exhaustion, etc don’t change for any county or leg of the trip. If you think complaining is helping or somehow helping some town be more prepared for you, then you’ll be disappointed next week.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI