No License Plates this Year?

I received my packet from my group and the license plates – with emergency contact info are not in the packet. Was this an oversight or have they discontinued the license plates?

Personally – this was a great conversation starter knowing someones name and place of residence. Also of critical importance is the emergency contact info on the back of the plate. What happens if someone is involved in an accident (and does not happen to be riding with a group member)? Does the group just wonder what happened to someone when they don’t show up that afternoon? Is there any individual emergency contact documentation for all riders? I know the group I am riding with have this information – but 1/2 of the time I am riding solo across Iowa.

I’m planning to make my own license plate if they are not available. Simply type something up and take it to Kinkos to laminate……

10 Replies

hnschipper, July 12, 2018 at 4:23 pm

They will be available for pickup at the RAGBRAI merchandise trailers.

KenH, July 12, 2018 at 5:44 pm

It’s a cost cutting move based on the fact that many do not use them. So remember to bring a magic marker and try to pick one up early in case they underestimated the demand!

Joe Stalvey, July 13, 2018 at 9:04 pm

I got what I took to be a license plate in my packet. It is a plastic rectangle, has the RAGBRAI logo and spaces for personal ID info and band numbers and a flexible loop I assumed was for attaching to the seat post. Is there something else that folks are calling license plates?

hnschipper, July 13, 2018 at 9:17 pm

That’s the luggage tag if you use the RAGBRAI baggage truck.

Joe Stalvey, July 13, 2018 at 9:20 pm

A-ha! Thanks. Will try to get a plate in Onawa.

Susan Johanson, July 14, 2018 at 2:09 pm

I ordered a state plate online. Look for ‘Susan’ from Utah! 🙂

T. Gap Woo, July 15, 2018 at 9:05 am

I ordered a state plate online. Look for ‘Susan’ from Utah! 🙂

I did the same thing several years ago. Look for my TGAPWOO Pennsylvania license plate. Or just listen for my ooga horn. Both are great ice-breakers!

See you along the I-O-Way next week.

montestaples, July 16, 2018 at 1:06 am

I always thought the license plates were a good idea and have always used one. However most people do not use them so I was not surprised when one was not in the packet. I think they finally decided not to bother and save some money. It seems to me that more people around camp knew my name than I knew theirs. And sometimes out on the road I was confused for a moment when someone pulled up beside me and called me by name and I couldn’t remember meeting them. Then I would remember that my name was right under my butt.

Brian Pentony, July 16, 2018 at 11:44 am

I liked the license plates and yes, they were good conversation starters out under the Iowa sun among the cornfields. I met people from all over the country and had some enjoyable conversations to pass the time. Found some home town folks and riders from other countries. My problem was that mine didn’t seat properly on my own bike, and I need to find a better way to position it for this year. Thanks for clarifying that is wasn’t in the packet. Not going to spend any more time looking for it.

Jill Ellenbecker, July 20, 2018 at 10:32 am

I was wondering where my license plate was, too. It’s mentioned on the packing slip. Was this a last minute change?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015