RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

No lottery for 2022

T-1 day until RAGBRAI XLIX 2022 registration opens! 💫 SURPRISE – NO MORE LOTTERY! 💫

For more info on how that will work: https://ragbrai.com/about/faqs/

Registration opens first thing Monday morning:
RAGBRAI.com/registration (further details added tomorrow)

We will be out of the office over the weekend but back bright and early tomorrow to answer any and all questions!

RAGBRAI is no longer hosting the lottery.
Effective November 15, 2021, RAGBRAI will no longer host the weeklong rider lottery. RAGBRAI is still limited to an approximate number of riders and non-riders each year. The ride will still be capped at the same numbers but registration will be based on first-come, first-served basis. If you register and pay, you will automatically be guaranteed a wristband number and entry into the 2022 ride. Wristband numbers will still be issued in May 2022. Riders will receive an email with their wristband number and will have access to view it in their EnMotive account.

If we reach the cap a wait list will be started and riders will be contacted after April 1, 2022 if entries have been opened up. If you aren’t selected off the waitlist you will still have an opportunity to purchase a wristband from riders who are no longer able to attend. We recommend checking the forums on RAGBRAI.com/forums or social media for riders who are looking to transfer their registration credentials.

Moving to guaranteed registration allows riders to start planning for RAGBRAI from the moment they pay for their registration. No more worrying about getting in. Your wristband and entry are guaranteed.

28 Replies

jgyovai, November 17, 2021 at 10:23 am

Yes! Thanks so much! I know I need to get the word “race” out of my vocabulary! :)

Amanda, November 17, 2021 at 12:16 pm

Hahaha! Lots of people refer to it as a race. Get one or two under your belt and you will be telling people it’s not a race.

“Bicycle Bill”, November 17, 2021 at 9:22 pm

The only competition on RAGBRAI is the one to see how many miles you can go before you need to stop for another piece of pie.   And just like in golf, the lowest number wins.
-“BB”-

This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by "Bicycle Bill".

jgyovai, November 18, 2021 at 10:41 am

Love it!

Larry Klaaren, November 19, 2021 at 9:19 am

We are traveling from Chicagoland and need to plan ahead with family, work, and especially TRAVEL. My original thought is to drive ourselves, gear in tow, as we will not have a support vehicle with us.

Keep your eyes open in this forum and do some googling for “Illinois RAGBRAI” and such terms. There are a few bike clubs in Chicago that offer rides both ways, or if you want to join a “team”, there are lots of opportunities with teams that originate in Chicago. I drive to the end town and take a bus to the start town, and use a charter during the week. The charter gets me from the end town to the start. I get home quite a bit earlier on Saturday, as I don’t have to wait for the last rider to get back. But there are a lot of different way to do it. A lot of this won’t evolve until January when we know the start and end towns. I live in New Lenox, which is right on I-80, so I am on 80 in five minutes, but if it’s a far northern or southern end town, 80 may not get you there very easily.

“Bicycle Bill”, November 19, 2021 at 11:55 pm

Only thing I worry about is that the ‘first come, first served’ method was the same way RAGBRAI tickets were allotted in the earliest years.   At that time the only credentials were cardboard luggage tags to be applied to ones’ duffel bag which were provided free of charge, with the end result that by the time of RAGBRAI IV (1976) people in the Des Moines area were camping out at the Register offices, like people used to line up for rock concert tickets or Black Friday sales, to guarantee that they would be among the four or five thousand who got them.   This led to complaints from people who could NOT take three days off or didn’t live in the immediate Des Moines area who felt, correctly, that this was effectively shutting them out of being able to take part in the ride.   This led to (originally) a random drawing to distribute the baggage tags – which were still no   cost – for the next couple of years.

Fortunately, we now have this miraculous thing called ‘the internet’ so we don’t have to worry about ‘the local people’ being able to cut to the head of the line, since someone in Arizona or Utah would have the same chance to get onto the webpage as someone from Altoona or Urbandale.   At least until someone figures out how to game the system with ‘bots to buy up all available registrations in bulk, like resale sites like Stubhub and others do for in-demand concert tickets nowadays.

-“BB”-

Larry Klaaren, November 20, 2021 at 10:36 am

On the RAGBRAI podcast they said that this will help the people who work there and the riders in a couple of ways. They only have three people who answer e-mails and they also have other responsibilities at the Register, and this should spread out the e-mail flood they get about registration. They will also be able to start processing and mailing packets earlier, since they don’t have to wait and see if there is a lottery and who is selected. If you remember, in the last couple of years some of the packets arrived just in time. It gives them more time on both counts, since people will be inclined to register earlier.

This reply was modified 1 week ago by Larry Klaaren.

Larry Klaaren, November 20, 2021 at 10:43 am

I forgot to mention, Andrea also said that once you are registered, you are now able to go ahead and schedule the week off, get hotel or RV sites and all of that type of thing for your trip to Iowa and/or the ride without worrying about cancellation penalties.

This reply was modified 1 week ago by Larry Klaaren.

LawnchairMan, November 20, 2021 at 6:22 pm

I assume that the Register has many bugs to work out in this new system of registration. I there any reason that bike tag numbers couldn’t be issued as we register? Why couldn’t it be the same as the payment confirmation number? Perhaps this will be done by 2023.

Daniel Rubeck, November 21, 2021 at 10:22 am

What is all included in the registration. Please someone tell me the perks. Thanks

Daniel Rubeck, November 21, 2021 at 10:51 am

Sorry, I found the info. Hopefully this year will be my first!

Mike Howe, November 21, 2021 at 2:09 pm

How does it help with hotels when no one knows the route until late January? I never understood why you have to be registered in order to take time off work or to ask for the time off.

Larry Klaaren, November 22, 2021 at 9:00 am

How does it help with hotels when no one knows the route until late January?

Previously you did not know until May. But you are right, you would not be able to do that part of the planning until January, but it gives you a solid four more months to sort that out. I think the biggest benefit is to the Register as they can start sending out packets much earlier, possibly when you register, if not now, eventually. If you’ve ridden previously, you know there were some “just in time” events with the packets.

Viewing 13 replies - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI