The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

No Mississippi Dip in Keokuk?

So I just read in PBV’s June letter that due to flooding damage, there won’t be access to the Mississippi dip in Keokuk. Instead, we’ll have to settle for Rand Park pond. Is this the official word?

5 Replies

klkoopman, June 29, 2019 at 6:08 am

I read that also. As the railroads own the land along the river, I doubt they are known for being flexible. It seems that Burlington or Montrose (the final pass-thru town on the river) could step up and provide the same photo-op.

The good news is that Rand Park is very close to the weeklong parking lots. There’s nothing worst than, after the dip, having to bike an additional 4 miles up a bluff on an unmarked, unmonitored route in urban traffic (i.e. Davenport) to reach the lots.

Terry Pepple, July 1, 2019 at 7:06 pm

Thanks to trek2300 for posting this article. https://www.pencitycurrent.com/2019/06/30/keokuks-set-ragbrai-dip-in-victory-park/

David, July 1, 2019 at 9:47 pm

For what it is worth, the Ride Spot route that was recently posted ends at Rand Park. I am guessing the exact details are still being finalized.

https://www.ridespot.org/rides/108696

R-Daryl Daryl, July 1, 2019 at 10:33 pm

As with any posted routes, remember that the final route is “subject to change”.
As far as PBV’s official ending point, note that each charter has a unique loading location in Keokuk.
It appears the inspection pre-ride ended at Rand Park in Keokuk due to the flooding at the potential dip site at that point of time.
Looking at the Day 6 Ride spot route, it incorrectly avoids Geode state park by turning right (avoiding the park) as opposed to turning left on Agency Road toward the park. Day 4 incorrectly shows the century loop going clockwise,.
The day 6 & 7 route in and out of Burlington is different on Ride-Spot than the route posted on the RAGBRAI Burlington website.
In other words, when on RAGBRAI, go with the flow – don’t try to pre-plan every turn or you just might miss out on the true RAGBRAI adventure as intended by the ride founders.

Joe Chavis, July 2, 2019 at 9:23 am

IF you wanna dip….. I’m sure you can find the river, once you arrive. Official dippin’ spot or not.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014