No Vendors outside of towns in first two counties

Here it is, all about the $’s. Discuss.

http://www.iowacraftbeertent.com/ragbraivendor.php

115 Replies

Portland Cyclist PDX, May 12, 2018 at 12:18 pm

Wow that’s ridiculous and potentially dangerous. If this concerns you, here are the emails to contact for the two counties:

Monona County: MoCoAud1@MononaCounty.org
Crawford County: eskoog@crawfordcounty.org

Iowa Craft Beer Tent, May 12, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Hello, if you do choose to send an email to the two counties above, and we hope you do, please keep it civil, professional, and to the point. Crawford county is looking for solid feedback before the vote on the ordinance. Monona county has passed their resolution but there is still time to get it reversed if enough of you give them solid advice on the safety concerns, and the overall enjoyment of the day while passing through their county. Above all, please keep it productive.
Thank you,

jay williams, May 12, 2018 at 1:04 pm

My very first Ragbrai I was riding way too fast, then I stopped on day 1 at a local farm. With Backpocket brewery serving craft beer, and Mr Porkchop grilling inch thick cuts of savory goodness, I sat down for an hour talking with complete strangers and finally realizing life was all about the journey. I still remember that moment, and I keep coming back year after year. Please keep the adventure alive.

strongbike2@gmail.com

Uncle Kraig, May 12, 2018 at 1:08 pm

I just sent a note to both counties. It was Iowa nice, respectful, sincere, short and to the point. I hope they listen. Would it make any sense to post this same thread, message, contact info, etc on the RAGBRAI FB page? It would probably get more exposure and generate a lot more email traffic to Monona and Crawford counties.

Zeb S, May 12, 2018 at 1:40 pm

This news should be plastered any place where RAGBRAI and riders will see it.

This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Zeb S.

Randall Murphy, May 12, 2018 at 2:00 pm

I sent in my request to please, please, please allow vendors along the route. Remember the ‘Death March into Audubon’ several years back? Let’s not repeat that.

LawnchairMan, May 12, 2018 at 5:58 pm

This is what I just sent both counties.

Dear Ma’m, Sir,

I have just heard that you are not permitting vendors from selling outside of towns this year. I do hope you will reconsider this decision. It is the unique vendors we find en-route that make Ragbrai such a special event. I brag to fellow riders about Mr. Porkchop, and Beekman’s. I also make a point of finding children with lemonade stands or other fare.

I cannot understand why you would want to stop this Ragbrai tradition. If this happens across the state, I doubt that I will participate in future years. I will certainly not start in Onawa again! As for this year I will be as self sufficient as I can ESPECIALLY in the towns.

Sincerely,

Scott Woodford

registered 2018 rider

Oops, I forgot to mention the home made pies! I hope every rider limits expenditures in these counties.

trek2300, May 12, 2018 at 6:51 pm

Yep, let’s just pack everyone into the already jammed towns and try to find a place to sit down. I hate being viewed as a traveling credit card and that appears to be the goal of the county ordinances. In my opinion, this could really impact the local flavor of RAGBRAI. Possibly no Beekman’s? No pullover at the farm for GatorAde?

I responded to the county addresses as well and noted that some of my least memorable (or maybe most memorable) RAGBRAIs involve world class temperatures and pulling over at a farmers sale and speed drinking GatorAde to regain my sense of humor.

I also messaged the Facebook RAGBRAI pages of towns in Crawford and Monona Counties. I wonder what the least amount of money is that I need to spend in Monona and Crawford counties?

BarryTantlinger, May 12, 2018 at 8:55 pm

So I can’t buy bottled water from farm kids or the local high school on the side of the road? That’s just stupid and is clearly not in the spirit of the event.

I’ll make the effort to spend as little money in these counties as possible.

If this becomes a trend, I will not come back to Iowa.

BarryTantlinger, May 12, 2018 at 9:02 pm

Isn’t Crawford the county that banned RAGBRAI after being sued over the death of a rider?

Sandaltan ., May 12, 2018 at 9:19 pm

Yes, Crawford county again.

RIDE RIGHT

LawnchairMan, May 12, 2018 at 10:23 pm

Hey TJ,

Could the Register help us on this? Could you talk to the county officials? Tell them they are killing the golden goose. Could you publish an article or two? Stop this from spreading?
The main reason I ride Ragbrai rather than Tour the Rockies is the variety of foods and services along the way. Without the vendors, Ragbrai would be just another ride. I love the idea that if I get hungry or thirsty between towns there will always be something just a few miles ahead. If I have to wait for the next town, I may as well ride elsewhere.
My first Ragbrai was in 2007. I remember seeing signs along the way advertising Gradma’s Pies. When I got to this house along the route an eight year old girl was barking “Gradma’s Pies . . . Best pies ever!” I stopped, had a pie a la mode, then decided to have another. The girl kept barking the whole time. That was a memorable event. It wouldn’t have been the same in a town.

So, please TJ help us out! Thank you.

Ragbrai Nation, May 12, 2018 at 11:56 pm

I just e-mailed TJ on this so look for him to please weigh-in on it, pronto. What the counties are doing is absurd. They have no idea what they’re doing. This is all about greed and if allowed to proliferate from county-to-county it will end Ragbrai as we have known it.

Uncle Kraig, May 13, 2018 at 8:15 am

I look forward to hearing what TJ has to say on this and if he/RAGBRAI have any luck in getting these counties “straightened out.” As I said somewhere on this, if you don’t want RAGBRAI in your county, don’t invite them and be sure to coordinate with the cities in your county to be sure they are not applying to host either. But if you do invite us, let us buy a lemonade from a kid along the route.

JLVanPelt, May 13, 2018 at 9:54 am

http://www.dbrnews.com/news/no-rural-vending-for-ragbrai/article_a3fe5b16-5566-11e8-a62d-133326e68f79.html
It is clear to me that this group is uninformed. It seems that education is required. I’m sure hundreds of emails will help but it seems that RAGBRAI admin needs to get in front of these counties and explain that by trying to keep riders safe from the tiniest of situations they are creating much larger safety and health issues. For those that believe this is a money issue (my mentor always taught me to follow the money) they are creating a far greater economic hole by this as well. “push” riders to two towns not on the route???

This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by JLVanPelt.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015