No Vendors outside of towns in first two counties

Here it is, all about the $’s. Discuss.

http://www.iowacraftbeertent.com/ragbraivendor.php

115 Replies

Michrider !!!, May 15, 2018 at 7:40 am

Counties have set up restrictions in the past. It happens, it’s their county! I remember the year the county police shut down the coffee hippies! Go with the flow, have a great RAGBRAI!!!

BTW, RAGBAI don’t care!!!

Zeb S, May 15, 2018 at 7:44 am

Jerry, if you look at the link in my original post, there is a map of Monona and Crawford counties and the RAGBRAI route.

Again, the ordinances in question pertain not one iota to if a vendor is Iowa-based or not. It could be a Martian vendor. The very idea of how municipalities or counties fund anything related to RAGBRAI is not there, yet can be inferred.

There will be NO services allowed in unincorporated areas along the RAGBRAI route in Monona county and the same ordinance is up for passage in Crawford county.

Where services can be performed is all these ordinances pertain to.

This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Zeb S.

mootsman, May 15, 2018 at 8:26 am

I’m with MitchRider. Lots of people work hard to make sure we have a great time. Appreciate their efforts. As the saying goes, “Roll with it”. Have fun. MR’s wise words, “RAGBRAI Don’t Care”.

And a HUGE thanks to all the people putting RAGBRAI on, especially TJ (great post TJ). The other 99.99% of us don’t even want our personal idea of perfection. Without it we’ll expand our idea of what is fun.

Bill Barry, May 15, 2018 at 9:48 am

Does this apply to the local kids selling in their front yards as well (outside of towns)?

My 14 year old son is joining me for his 1st RAGBRAI. I was counting on plenty of places to stop, rest and snack along the way for him.

Ken Reed, May 15, 2018 at 10:17 am

Teamwork makes the dream work…

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155202931436216&id=10482066215

This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Ken Reed.

jwsknk, May 15, 2018 at 10:39 am

Recent post from TJ
I just wanted to update everyone on the vendor situation on #RAGBRAI as it pertains to the rural stretches between towns.

RAGBRAI had been working closely with @onawaragbrai and @denisonragbrai to work with their local county supervisors. There has been a lots of screaming and name calling which is not helpful.

RAGBRAI, Onawa RAGBRAI and Denison Ragbrai committees are all proposing to allow vending in these unincorporated areas as long as they follow the state regulations and local rules (and perhaps nominal fees) that could be set in local ordinances. The local Denison RAGBRAI committee will speak for RAGBRAI at the supervisors meeting this morning making this position known to the local supervisors.

At no time did RAGBRAI, @onawaragbrai or @denisonragbrai ever advocate for banning vendors. They add to the overall experience of the event as long as they abide by the rules and pay fees if that is part of the ordinances.

Thanks again for understanding a complicated situation. We hope you will continue to support our host communities as they are the backbone of this event and without your support #RAGBRAI will not continue to exist.

Thanks again and we look forward to a great summer!

TJ Juskiewicz, RAGBRAI Director

vancelux, May 15, 2018 at 12:03 pm

TJ,
Keep up the great work!
I enjoy stopping to sit in the grass under a bid shade tree and if there is a craft beer involve, all the better. At 63 and on the heavy side, it helps re-energize me.
Our team typically uses the Iowa Craft Beer Tent stop as a gathering location before riding into the overnight town.
Thanks for all you do!
Vance

Michrider !!!, May 15, 2018 at 12:08 pm

This awesome ride happens in the Great state of Iowa. We are guests in their corn! Remember to be kind and pleasant!!!

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

DMob, May 15, 2018 at 2:17 pm

Looks like Crawford County has reversed course and is now going to allow the vendors in the unincorporated areas of the county.

http://www.dbrnews.com/news/supervisors-move-to-allow-vending/article_00c7fefc-5863-11e8-ba10-2b04246c72b6.html

KenH, May 15, 2018 at 4:58 pm

After reading TJ’s remarks I am convinced that he and the RAGBRAI team are working through the issues and will come to good compromises for all concerned. Those of you who wish to voice your opinions to the various officials certainly should do so. But take TJ’s comments to heart. If you voice your opinions in a way that makes his efforts to arrive at good solutions impossible we will all be worse off for it. So please be honest and polite and respectful. We are guests in their homes, they are not guests in our homes.

Personally I think there is plenty of room in even the small towns to support the vendors and if the town boundaries need to be expanded for the day in some cases to make that possible then that is probably a compromise that could be reached — as long as we do not make that impossible with poisonous comments. We don’t have to do everything the way we have always done it to have a good RAGBRAI and I see no reason to believe these regulations are unworkable as long as the counties are willing to bend the rules when that is clearly necessary and to make sure we can all get water at reasonable intervals when in unincorporated areas.

Iowa Craft Beer Tent, May 16, 2018 at 10:40 am

Thank you to all that took the time to send an email or make a call to the Crawford County Board of Supervisors. Your concerns we’re heard loud and clear. Thank you to RAGBRAI for their posts as well and the Denison RAGBRAI committee for speaking on behalf of RAGBRAI at the meeting yesterday. We have never encouraged or condoned not spending you money in these counties, and i ask one thing of you. As fast as word spread that the counties had a vendor ban, it needs to spread that they heard you and made a change to make your day better.
One rider even suggested sending a “Thank you” email to the board and let them read happy emails instead of the ones they read last weekend. The email we gave you for Crawford County was eskoog@crawfordcounty.org. Eric is a nice guy and I was glad to shake his hand yesterday to thank him and the board personally.
We will keep you updated if Monona County makes any changes in the next few weeks to their county vendor ban.

Mark Weintraub, May 16, 2018 at 3:45 pm

Thank you email sent.

Rodcrosgrove, May 16, 2018 at 5:09 pm

Late to the game, didn’t realize there was such a brewhaha until I read TJs post.
TJ I wrote you some unkind things about the last day last year, you responded back pretty strong and that’s ok. I want to say you do a great job, now on to the subject. This is my 6th RAGBRAI and my wife’s 11th, I’m from Iowa she is not. I’ve wanted to start in onawa every time I’ve done RAGBRAI. I was born there, my grandpa is buried there, my Dad grew up there, I’ve been there numerous times. Most people probably don’t know they used to claim the widest Main Street in the us. Next stop Soldier, my grandma is buried there, been there numerous times. RAGBRAI is always like coming home, now about the vendors.
My wife and I almost always go to churches for suppers. Stop by America legions for lunches. But we hit beekmans, (from Pocahontas, which was in my high school sports conference) almost everyday and have to hit Mr pork chop at least once during the week. Some things from the vendors are great, farm boys and breakfast delights come to mind and I think they are both from Iowa. I like all the settings, either in the country or in town. Yes they should all pay a fee, what ever the town or county has set up. Of course it is us the riders that pay the fee, just like the registration. That’s it. Keep up the good work TJ.

jay williams, May 18, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Have Monona county leaders figured this out yet and repealed their misguided resolution? Or will I be keeping my wallet shut till Charter Oak in Crawford county where their leaders saw the light?

CharterOak DayOne, May 18, 2018 at 10:38 pm

Which makes more sense…having three major beer stops within a flat, six-mile stretch between Ute and Charter Oak, or having one of those beer stops somewhere in the twelve-mile, hilly stretch between Charter Oak and Denison? It’s all about the riders and their safety, right? Right???

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015