RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Non-Rider – how does it work

Reposting, the original does not seem to be here anymore:
Anyone know offhand how it is handled if someone wants to drive from city to city? My parents want to drive the route while I ride. I saw something about non-riders, but I cannot seem to find good info on how this works. Do they have to register? Do they stay at the same campsites the riders do? Can they still register? I thought I saw earlier that the non-rider stuff closes later than rider, but I cannot find that so I might be mis-remembering.

7 Replies

Matt, May 20, 2021 at 3:23 pm

Driving in the lane amongst thousands of cyclists isn’t an option if that’s the question. You can find some info on the site for support drivers under General Info in the Vehicle category. Looks like
June 1 is the deadline for vehicle passes. Support drivers have an alternate route that parallels the main route. Support crews can meet riders at the midway town and end town for the day for sure. Probably a way to meet on the route for emergencies. Under FAQ Registration #7&8 talk about it also. You can email info@ragbrai.com too.

Jonathan Rosenberg, May 20, 2021 at 4:11 pm

Yea, not talking about having them actually drive the same route. Wow, would that be scary (for everyone).

I see the support driver, but you have to be a team of three+ to do that. So there isn’t an option for a rider that isn’t a team to have someone. I knew I had seen something like that, and the June date, but I could not find it again. Thanks for pointing that out.

Bluestreelguy ., May 20, 2021 at 4:25 pm

I’m starting to ask my self what are they hiding from? Ive gotten more information talking to walls. The rollover plan appears to be a major fail. The lack of communication is becoming a bigger fail. Do we need to start writing letters to the editor? I cant be the only one in this spot. Are there any rollover riders who have not gotten a wristband yet?

Jonathan Rosenberg, May 20, 2021 at 6:48 pm

I think you may have been trying to reply to a different thread.

hnschipper, May 21, 2021 at 12:54 pm

The non-rider registration deadline was the same as the rider registration deadline this year (in past years, you could still register as a non-rider all the way through RAGBRAI.) You’d have to check with RAGBRAI to see if they could still register and if you can still get a vehicle pass. A team of 3+ includes both riders and non-riders.

Wonder Woman, May 26, 2021 at 8:43 pm

There is a vehicle route, but If they are not registered but you have places to stay and they are hauling your stuff there is not much to know. You look up the bike route and avoid it completely with your car. Just don’t try to drive the route…ever.

Warren Gilbert, June 1, 2021 at 3:27 pm

Ya, I notised there is little info on nonrider regisration. If i understand it right a registrated non-rider gets access to the camping grounds for Ragbrai, thus being able to set up and have the support gear handy. When I registrated as a weeklong rider. I didnt see any additional or optional registration for a weeklong non-rider. Did i miss something, or was there nothing to miss?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI