The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Non-Rider Support

I am signed up for 2019 and my wife wants to come but she is not riding. Is there a way she drive a car or camper between towns and have a place to park/meet me each night? I am confused with vehicle passes and how-to for my wife.

3 Replies

Chris, January 13, 2019 at 7:28 am

I’m certain someone who has more experience with this than I have will give a more thorough answer….

Leaving the overnight town, the riders take one route, the (cars/support vehicles/team buses/anything motorized, effectively) vehicles, go another route. The “Support Vehicle” route is announced at about the same time as the individual day routes are, usually sometime in May. The routes overlap in the Meeting Town, which is usually at about the halfway point of the day’s riding distance, then diverge again. This is the one time during the day that the support vehicles and the riders officially meet up. At the next overnight town, there is a dedicated RV parking area, the teams have a designated areas, and (someone check me on this) the regular cars have designated areas, too. She may end up parked a good distance from where you end up camping.

That’s the gist of it, anyway. Someone who has actually driven it will comment shortly, I’m sure.

Welcome to the party!
-Chris

Dueywife, January 15, 2019 at 5:02 pm

As Chris already mentioned, there is a separate route for the support drivers with a Meeting town midway through the day where drivers and riders can meet. Our son has driven our support vehicle for the past 2 years. As far as I understand it, the support driver wristband & tag would get her access to camp in the official campground and the RAGBRAI discount. As we do not camp in the main campground we have not gotten the tag/wristband in the past. If you’re using a camper, it would gain her access to the RV campground for the RV. When meeting up, our driver texts us the location and we find him (vs the other way around).

Mike Cordes, January 15, 2019 at 5:17 pm

She needs to register as a non-rider, but you need to have a team (of 3?) to get a vehicle pass. With or without a vehicle pass, there is a driver’s orientation meeting on Saturday in the starting town where they give the drivers instructions, maps, advice, etc. The route for the vehicles is marked just like the route for the riders (green v. orange signage) and I assume that you don’t need those if you’re simply following the crowd.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014