Notable towns that have never hosted overnight?

I’m wondering if we will see a first time overnight stop this year?

I was just thinking of notable towns that had never hosted?

Being too close to the Mississippi ( but not on the river… so can’t dip the tire) seems to keep some towns out of the mix.

Are there some communities that just don’t want it in town overnight?

22 Replies

Michrider !!!, January 22, 2017 at 10:06 am

“Bicycle Bill”: Excuse me while I pluck crow feathers out of my mouth.
I would have bet anything that Lansing would never, ever, ever again host the finish of RAGBRAI. I stand corrected.
I’m starting a new job on Jan 25th. Depending on my work schedule (I will learn what my regular shift will be after completing training around the 10th of March), I feel that as of this writing Bicycle Bill **WILL** be able to ride at least the last couple days of RAGBRAI this year.

Beebs, I’m excited to get the chance to meet up with you, finally!!!

“Bicycle Bill”, January 22, 2017 at 1:35 pm

Michrider, you have never sat on a curb until you’ve sat on a curb in downtown Lansing, Iowa.  Some of them are so high you can sit on them and let your legs dangle, and it requires a flight of stairs to get to the sidewalk from the street!

And yes, I’ll be down there painting a “RESERVED FOR MICHRIDER” sign on one of the choicer locations once the weather warms up!

-“BB”-

jimval, January 22, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Two towns come to mind Dewitt and Eldridge. Eldridge probably just to close to the QC but Dewitt would be a great overnight town. Bettendorf (pop. 35000) has to be the largest river town never to be the end city, I know a few years ago they made a concerted effort to be and end town and were denied. Maybe they have beaten the Des Moines sports teams a few too many times in the state championships. 🙂

jboz, I have always thought an end town as an overnight would be a great idea. Especially an overnight in Muscatine and then a ride EAST to Davenport.

Jim

Sandaltan ., January 22, 2017 at 4:18 pm

Mich, do you suppose that same halter-topped little butterfly will again be flitting around that same outdoor beverage garden in search of the perfect nectar snack in Charles City? I am sure you remember.

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, January 22, 2017 at 6:23 pm

Sandaltan: Mich, do you suppose that same halter-topped little butterfly will again be flitting around that same outdoor beverage garden in search of the perfect nectar snack in Charles City? I am sure you remember.

Ah yes, I remember that fondly!!!

Michrider !!!, January 22, 2017 at 6:36 pm

ST, is your memory the same as mine!!!
null

Sandaltan ., January 22, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Yes Mich, that is the shy little butterfly that flitted from table to table!! Aside from the lepidoptery, our Charles City stay was made memorable by the most wonderful hosts in recent memory, we were met at the door by our host offering a glass of Gentleman Jack on the rocks….can ya beat that. Then we had a great conversation with truly two of Tom Brokaw’s “The Greatest Generation”. He will host us again, regretably, she has passed on.

RIDE RIGHT

Viewing 7 replies - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015